rion greenhouse???

Lilburn, GA

Hi!

I am planning on doing serious growing during th ewinter and am looking for a good greenhouse. Everything is too expensive. I found the rion 8x24 at sams club website. It is made out of plastic. Does anyone know if it is strong enough to cope with our weather and strong winds? Can I use heaters with it?

Butch???

Thank you
Anna

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I don't know anything about that brand. Is it twinwall polycarbonate when you say plastic? If it is, then it should be adequate. Was the model one put together at Sam's? Did it seem sturdy? How is it anchored to the ground? The GH I had was bolted to 6x6 lumber which in turn was tied into the ground with 18 inch rebar.

I would imagine you could use heaters with it as long as you keep the heat source away from the walls.

I would place it under some big trees (deciduous) for some shade in the summer because they can build heat very fast.

Lilburn, GA

Hi Butch!

I only saw it on their website, not live. This is what they say:

.A strong, and maintenance free resin framework makes Rion Hobby Greenhouses highly weather-resistant. The tough UV protected polycarbonate glazing, combined with a simple, push-fit assembly assures that the Rion Greenhouses are one of the easiest hobby greenhouse kits to assemble. 5 roof vents are included for proper air circulation and heat control. Up to an 1,100 lb. snow load. No tools required for assembly! Model number: GH410S

Cordele, GA

Get the biggest green house you can afford. It will still be too small in three years.

I have found that lean to greenhouses are easier to heat. They are not difficult to build from scratch, but if you live where the homeowners association is difficult to deal with, that can create a lot of hassles.

My little lean to was a 6" by 10" structure. It had a poured concrete foundation with a gravel over dirt floor. I used 6 mil UV rated green house plastic as a skin with batten tape to hold it down. In the summer I rolled the sides up for ventilation and in the winter I tacked a layer of plastic up on the inside. The 4" dead air space that created was great insulation. Because it covered a window, I was able to heat it using a single spaceheater on an extension cord through the window.

The total cost was $100.

I am debating putting up another of the same style on our patio. And debate is the operative word. My spouse doesn't garden and he wants something on the order of a Four seasons sun room, which we can't afford. If he goes to England again he may come home to a done deal. My teenaged daughter is taking her third class in construction in HS this year . She and I could put it up in no time.

Beth

Lilburn, GA

Hi Beth,

thank you for your message. I do not have a place for a lean to because of the way the house is built. I have just read bad reports about rion so will not be buying it.

I have to do lots of research and see if I can find a builder to help as I have two left hands for building things. I am horrible at it.

Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

For many years, we have kept a huge number of plants alive on our back deck (here in Dallas, GA... Paulding County) using one of the smallest of these units. A couple of 100 watt lightbulbs kept an amazing variety of plants alive all winter long and helped us get some seeds started in January. They have a special type of material and very sturdy construction. Easy to take down and put away in the summer. Take a look. You might find what you're looking for.
jo

http://www.shelter-systems.com/greenhouses.html

Lilburn, GA

thank you Jo. They look good!!!

Augusta, GA

Spider07,
I did see an online complaint that the plastic melted and the construction was difficult but I think maybe it was someone in AZ and it can get 120 out there in the summer. I would certainly give it some summer shade. You may want to run a search on these greenhouses at all the garden forums to check for other's experiences in your growing zone (for melting problems) and all zones for general comments. They sure are pretty to look at...I drooled over the selection for about a year until I saw that complaint. I guess it's not really fair to judge by one comment though.
Good luck,
Deb

Lilburn, GA

Deb, there were 4 pages of complaints, nothing positive. Badseed has one and she likes it. I am thinking of getting one as most greenhouses are too expensive. I just need somehting that can keep the heat in in the winter. And, like you said, they are so pretty. The neighbours would not be able to complain about that being an eyesore.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

I have plans for a beautiful greenhouse made of cedar and plexi that is supposed to cost about $600 to build. Could you work with someone you know to build it? (I didn't check the price of the one you are condsidering, but this plan is cheaper than all the other ones I've looked at, and really attractive) I would be happy to share the plans.....I've carried them around for years until I actually owned a house where I could build it, now I have a house and still can't afford to build it. Maybe next year....

Jessie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.