My cukes are not blossoming...

Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

These were planted about 5 weeks ago, and look healthy. They are not bushy and not leggy. The soil might be acidy and there is clay fairly close to the surface. This is the first time a garden has been planted here. I did not turn the soil or beef it up in any way except to put some Miracle Grow Shake 'n' Feed which is ok for vegetables. Some of the plants start to wilt if not watered evey day. There is mulch on the garden.

My brother lives very close to here and his plants are full of blossoms. We both planted plants and not from seed. His are planted where there has been a garden for years. He has bare soil which looks dry all the time. I think he waters every day. I water every day and also water if the plants appearing to be wilting. My plants are leafier and taller but no blossoms. Any ideas?

Before you criticize me for not properly preparing the soil (even if you were only thinking it!), I couldn't this year. I didn't have the money to get what I needed and figured I would get enough cukes for myself over the summer this way. I also have planted tomatoes in the same area (gifts from my brother, he had too many plants) which are thriving on this acidy soil and are producing blossoms and tomaotes like crazy! (still green tho!) My brother's tomato plants are puny compared to mine and he has blossoms but no tomatoes yet. (After 60 years I finally beat him at something!)

There are some impatiens also very recently planted, a gift from someone who bought too many plants because the price was $5 per flat! A gerber daisy, a gift from a gentleman caller, is also planted for months, and while it is kinda slow growing, it does have 2 flowers and looks healthy.

I also have herbs and more tomatoes in containers. The tomatoes in containers in good soil are doing just as well as the ones in the unprepared ground.

Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

This happened to me last year. I am in VA. No clue why. Just hang in there - the squash family is peculiar.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Depending on the cultivar it can 8 weeks or more for cukes from seed. 5 weeks even for transplants is pushing a bit. Try patience as long as the vines are healthy.

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

Yah, my cukes took forever to look like they were gonna make it, and now there are flowers and teeny cukes. Hang in there.

Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

I really jumped the gun here! The blossoms are starting!!! I am just impatient! I feel once the plant is planted I should have cukes, tomatoes, etc within one week!!!!

Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

That was me complaining 2 weeks ago. Here are some pics of the cukes!

This is the biggest one so far. It's a pickling cuke so I expect it to be ready any day now! Forget about pickling, I'm eating this one right in the garden!!!

Thumbnail by bolino
Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

Here's some more babies, so many on the plants!

Thumbnail by bolino
Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

And lastly, a shot of some of the blossoms!!! I took more photos as the patch is just covered with blossoms and babies, but you get the idea from these pics!

Thumbnail by bolino
Newport Beach, CA

This is the first year I've had a garden, and I live in a 600 sq ft apartment with a teeny patio that only gets about 4 hours of direct sun a day. My yellow squash did "okay", but then sucumbed to powdery leaf mildew. The cucumbers have not done well at all. I started them from seed back in February, using the "bonus" seeds from Burpee. Lots of blossoms, but all the cukes turn black when they are still less than 1/4" long. I read something about bees needing to pollenate them, but other than that I am clueless. Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks! Oh, I am using an Earth Box..but the cukes are next to the failed squash.

Thumbnail by Brandi408
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

If pollination is the problem, try one of the all female parthenocarpic cultivars.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.