Raise your hand if you love hand watering (in moderation!)

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm from Austin, Texas, where water in our natural acquifer (Edwards) is running so low that the papers yesterday warned of more water restrictions for certain areas. We're in a 14-month drought that started in April 2005 with above normal temps--even a weird 100 in April! (Austin American-Statesman, June 15, 2006).

That started me thinking last night and this morning about what on earth (appropriate colloquial expression, huh?) will happen if that indeed occurs. Handwatering becomes the rule instead of allowing sprinklers to gush water at scheduled times of the day with total disregard to need. I for one, however, am the type who absolutely loves handwatering.

I love the swishy noise, the rainbows sometimes created, and even the occasional cooling "back spray." Love the scent of herbs or an occasional whiff of mulch that is released from the spray.

In many of the houses I've lived in, I have not had sprinklers as I do now. I never dreaded the watering. Now, I find myself overwatering some things as I redo what the machinery has already taken care of for me.

Any other thoughts on watering? Like it or hate it?

Poquoson, VA(Zone 7b)

How about "I'd simply love it if I had the time to hand water"? ;-)

I enjoy watering, but I can't tell you haw many plants I've dehydrated to death, simply due to lack of time. *sigh* Automatic sprinklers are my plant's best friend.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

BackyardZoo...(I love your clever "handle" on DG!)

I totally agree...time is the main factor...so perhaps I should edit my query to read "If you have TIME to handwater..."!

It is true that I get busy and am so thankful that the sprinklers do the job. But I still love the watering! I guess it's like having a car...always gets ya there...but walking (in moderation!) can be fun too, if you have the time.

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

I enjoy hand watering. It's my time to visit and talk to my plants. I do have a drip system for the hot/dry season when I would have to spend too much time with the mosquitoes, but I'll still give my favorites an extra little sip. ;~ )

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

I adore hand watering - and hate to be told it is not the best way to do it. I've set up lots of soaker hoses, but it's just not the same - and what a pain they are when you have to find a leak . . . having them wound through and around a ton of plants makes it quite an effort! I also love oscillating sprinklers - mainly the sound they make as they go back and forth (I don't use one now at all, just live on the memory of it!). I have one spot that I use a little sprinkler that shoots a light spray upwards - the hummingbirds love it!

Carole

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Murmur...your DG name says it all...you too are into sound! (or was "Murmur" of some other origin?!)

And KatyMac...I do agree that handwatering allows (almost forces!) one to look at each plant...see how it's doing...and yes, give it a good talkin to if needbe! :)

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm looking for a local handwaterers anonymous. I have a problem with it. Really look forward to my morning stroll through garden and hand watering my planter box bush tomatos, rosemary and parsley. Yes, they need it every day due to the size/location of the container.....but then I veer off to other areas of the garden and get lost in time. It's making me late for work. (well, watering and logging onto Davesgarden.com) Help!
Debra

Connie, "Murmur" is actually my grandma name - my oldest granddaughter, who is now almost 19 (omigosh), couldn't say "grandma," it came out "murmur." And it stuck! There are three more grandchildren now and they all call me Murmur (although we've had variations of Mimi, MooMoo, and MuhMuh).

But I like the idea of it being related to sound, too (quiet sounds, that is!).

Carole

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I really do like to water, there are not a lot of things that you do that have instant results and I guess watering in one of them. I do have a hard time not watering some plants that don't need it. I usually do it early in the morning when it is quiet and just me and my plants around.

Al

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Oh Lord, yes...my favorite thing...but if you're young and out there watering with a hose, I would recommend that you put some kind of nozzle on the hose. Don't hold your thumb over the end...I'm sure that's what has made my right hand thumb so arthritic after all these years!!! One of my grandmothers was called "nammer", because one of the grandkids couldn't say grandma, I think I like Murmur better.
Murmur, have you been having a drought up there? I would think the only time you'd find an excuse to go out and hand water would be in August.

This message was edited Jun 16, 2006 9:06 PM

LOL, wcgypsy, you're almost right, not much need of hand watering out here, but there's always the containers (which I swear dry out even when it's been raining like crazy) and the gardens under the eaves . . . and just for some 'absolutely fascinating information' for you all, I live on Whidbey Island in an area that is in the rain shadow of the Olympic Mountains. Consequently, we get about 2/3 of what the Seattle area gets in rainfall.

However, it rained like a son of a gun today!!!!!!!! And I'm darn tired of it!!

Al, nicely said "early in the morning when it is quiet and just me and my plants around." Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, yes!

Carole

LOL, wcgypsy, you're almost right, not much need of hand watering out here, but there's always the containers (which I swear dry out even when it's been raining like crazy) and the gardens under the eaves . . . and just for some 'absolutely fascinating information' for you all, I live on Whidbey Island in an area that is in the rain shadow of the Olympic Mountains. Consequently, we get about 2/3 of what the Seattle area gets in rainfall.

However, it rained like a son of a gun today!!!!!!!! And I'm darn tired of it!!

Al, nicely said "early in the morning when it is quiet and just me and my plants around." Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, yes!

Carole

p.s. I thought I had hit "send," but it says my message has not been posted yet . . . so if this goes through twice, I apologize!

Yup. There it is twice. And it was still telling me it hadn't been posted yet - glad I didn't try it yet again!!! Good thing I'm so fascinating that you will all just love re-reading the same note!! HA!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I think there is somethng very therapeutic in handwatering; either early in the morning or after dinner in the evening works best for me. I do use the irrigation system and a drip system on my container plants on the deck but I still get out there and use the hose as often as I can. You do get to see the individual plants - some of which I had forgotten I had - and in this climate, I love the backspray.

I often *wash* the garden with a weak dishwashing liquid solution in a hose end sprayer. For me this is relaxing and it even makes the garden smell good (as if the gardenias weren't enough LOL).

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Ardesia...does this "bath" for the flowers get rid of bad bugs? I need a formula, please....a squirt in a gallon?

I even spray the foliage way up in my trees (thank goodness someone invented the sprayer that attaches!) ....my tree guy said photosynthesis (?) takes place best if the foliage is free of dust.

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

I love to handwater. It gives me a chance to leisurely walk the gardens and look at all my plants and dream of what all I want to do in the future. I also hand water parts of our lawn. It saves our water well usage. We try to be careful and not overtax our water well.

Since yesterday we've gotten 1 1/2 " of RAIN!!! Yea!! Hope we get more tomorrow and on into next week.

Lin

Frankfort, KY

For Connie:

If your water system is creating rainbows, it means you are watering in the daytime. Why? Mine is set to run from midnight on. Also, because we have so much rain, I have a sensor on my system that will not permit it to come on if its raining.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

kyjoy......I re-read my beginning post and it is about handwatering that creates the rainbows. My hardscape guy left before finishing the irrig. system, so I must handwater some of the areas he left undone. It's supposed to be finished (by another contractor) this week!

I thought that watering in the night would create mold, mildew, etc. No? My gardening mentors always said not to water at night. Hmmmm. Perhaps our areas are different with humidity, etc? (I'll have to check to see if my system has a sensor....for when it rains...which is not very often lately!!)

DFW area, TX(Zone 7b)

Handwatering is very theraputic and way cheaper than
a psychotherapist. Mold and mildew from watering in the
evening? Never had that problem, and I'm an old lady.
I figure God has it rain more often at night than in the
daytime, so I'm just going by the "manufacturer's instructions,"
so to speak.
Another benefit is that if there is any stress in the house,
it's a good reason to go outside and be alone for a while.
I'm in Texas now, but I followed the same practice in
Chicago, and my garden was always lush and blooming,
and people stopped on their walks to chat and admire -
which would drive me back into the house LOL.
I love Dave's Garden. So much to talk about and learn.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Mahnot...my DH is from NRH...close to Ft. Worth, yes?? He graduated from HS there (or verrrry close!) in 1946. We just drove around the area this past weekend and he pointed out his HS, the ball fields, etc. Have you lived there long?

Perhaps my mentor (mainly my grandmother) said not to water ROSES at night...because of what the non-dried water could do to the leaves?? Memories are foggy about gardening as I didn't do any for about 10 years!

Connie, I've always heard not to water at night, too, but have done so many many times out of necessity. I think any plant prone towards mildew, black spot, etc. could possibly suffer from night watering. The new soaker type hoses and drip systems probably prevent a lot of that.

Carole

DFW area, TX(Zone 7b)

Hi, Connie - Yes, you're not supposed to get the foliage
of roses wet at night. It does cause blackspot IF the air
is still and the humidity is high; however, if they are healthy,
they manage fine. Personally, I think a lot of the "Rose
Rules" were made up when tea roses were the rage.
For instance, they are now saying that you do not have
to cut back the faded blooms down to the next 5-leaf
section. Just cut it at any point. I'm too busy for tea roses.

Like my little grandson says, "Where is this Book of Rules?"

I've only been down here since last autumn, and the HS
your husband is speaking of (if it's the one next to Loop 820)
is about a 10 minute stroll from me. I was at the Alamo in
1960. Austin must have undergone big changes since then.

Connie, sorry, I forgot to "watch' this thread. I usually dilute something like Ivory liquid 1/2 and 1/2 with water then set a hose end sprayer for 2 T. per gallon. (Because I diluted it I am really only getting 1T/gal).

Does it kill bugs? Well, I do not know for sure but it does discourage them and it washes the dust and pollen off the leaves so they can breathe.

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

Here I am! *raises hand* I like handwatering, too...seems to be the mindless sort of thing my brain enjoys the most (at least, I find it very relaxing :) ). I water whenever my work schedule and 14 month old son let me. :)

pam

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh Pam...that is the cutest age for little boys! (Let him help you hold the hose!) My son Jordan was the light of my life and I was so into little boys that when I was pregnant again, I wanted another boy! Then I got an adorable girl, so I have one of each! Enjoy him....they grow up so fast....that's so cliched, but true! It seems YESTERDAY that mine was that age, and tonight I sat down to dinner at a restaurant with my 6 foot, gorgeous man-child who is almost 26 yo!!! :)

Lake Forest, CA(Zone 10a)

I don't even HAVE an automatic sprinkler system! I have to hand water every inch of my property. Pam, my son is 14 months too! I also have a 5 yr old boy. I water during my boy's am nap.

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

I agree with everything that has been said about hand watering.I do it as early in the morning as possible.It's my time.I know what every plant is doing. It is a very meditative experience for me.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

if i had to press a button to water, i'd probably give up gardening, that's how much i love handwatering. i know it's not practical for everyone, but for me, it's my favorite time of day.

Yeah. I like hand watering because it's kinda like the American Dream, isn't it? I love standing in the middle of my yard, waving to my neighbors, and my hose with the adjustable nozzle on it. What I like the most is that if it's a neighbor I don't like, I can fantasize about switching the nozzle to "jet" and getting them real good all the way across the street.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Like in that commercial for the coffee drink...Where the lady sprays the paperboy as he rides by on his bike! LOL

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh yeahhhhh...would love to do that to the snob who lives across the street from me. She drives by and NEVER looks my way. Guess I look like the gardener...always a mess and covered with dirt! LOL I'm picturing it now....she's dressed to the 'nines' for some hoity-toity function, she's in her little red convertible...he he

I love people who are always a mess and covered with dirt!! And I really love people who get mischevious pictures in their minds - lol - wonderful to think about the surprised look on the sno, dressed to the nines, in her little red convertible . . . I grin every time I think about it!!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

The type who belongs to the local garden club even though she pays landscapers big bucks to plant and maintain everything. ;)

Yup. And I'm a doublewhammy. I do my own gardening and I'm a stay at home mom, so I'm covered in dirt AND kid funk.

I am barraged by gardeners here in Orange County- I get people all day trying to give me flyers or telling me they'll mow my lawn and edge for 20 bucks. I look at them like they're insane. INSANE! I reek of sunscreen and sweat, I've got two pair of Coronas in my pocket,kneepads and weeders, my crocs and my hubby's old Marine Corps Desert cover. PUHLEEZ! Don't waste your flier on me!

DFW area, TX(Zone 7b)

Oh, oh. I sense this thread heading in a dangerous
direction. Hosing paperboys, blasting neighbors
off their feet, damage to automobiles, snickering
at people delivering handflyers. Don't tell me -
I can guess - being rude to opinion poll takers
while watering is probably next. Terry must not
be looking, oh my.

I would never dream of being rude to an opinion poll taker.

But I would not hesitate to look very sternly at a small elementary school child asking me to sponsor them for a jog-a-thon.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

...lol...OR the little girl selling Girl Scout cookies door-to-door when the neighborhood rule is "no solicitations"!! *grin*

Exactly. Who dares to try to sell me Thin Mints!?!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

And those are my favorites...and next...the Lemon things...oh what I wouldn't give for one (or several??) or either right now...no sweets in the house!!!

.A couple of days ago there was a post somewhere on DG with a picture of a rather rude - but hysterical - topiary of a person showing their neighbor just what they thought of them. I can't find the post. If you saw it you know what I am talking about. Does anyone remember where it is?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.