HVX Example photos. Known "Infected" pics only, please

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Hi all, this thread is to help others learn to identify HVX on their hostas. Please post your photos of "known" infected hostas...or at least "likely" hostas. In order to keep this thread focused, please post your pic of a hosta needing HVX identification in a new thread...it will get immediate attention that way. I hope this is OK as we have info scattered about. I have a few photos of hostas obviously infected, and some likely ones that I can share. Apologies on the clarity of some of the photos. I took many with a new camera phone. Warning on my photos, I use Paint Shop Pro to color correct and enhance my photos. It is needed due to the lack of control or lighting at the nurseries where I took many of my photos. It is possible that this process may enhance some aspects of the leaves so that you can tell if the hosta may have HVX, or it may make a "possible" look infected when it may not be. Hopefully Chris or the "real" experts will post if they see something that needs correction. I've also done my best to get the variety of the hosta correct, but in many cases am depending on the tag, which I take of a photo of prior to photographing the rest of the hosta...sometimes the glare washes out the name. Again, corrections are invited.

I'll post several this weekend, but here are a couple really bad examples of the virus. This is a photo of the variety 'Sum and Substance', which is the larger hosta with gold leaves, and 'Striptease', lower left side. The 'Sum and Substance' should be a nice even solid chartreuse green...no blue/green blotches. The "ink-bleed" effect of the dark color following the veins of the leaf are really visible in this pic. Also, the "zig-zag" marks that Chris of Hallson Gardens mentions in his DVD are evident. I credit the people here and his DVD for teaching me how to identify the virus.

http://www.perennialnursery.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=63

Another excellent source of information:

http://www.hostalibrary.org/

Laura

This message was edited Jun 15, 2006 11:20 PM

This message was edited Jun 15, 2006 11:32 PM

Thumbnail by largosmom

Here is another of 'Sum and Substance' and 'Striptease'. These pics show both the "ink-bleeding" effect of a darker blue/green on the lighter part of the leaf following the veins as well as bleaching and lighter "zig zag" marks on the rightmost 'Sum and Substance' leaf.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2006 11:17 PM

Thumbnail by largosmom

Striptease alone. The lower leaf shows definite signs of the "ink bleeding".

This message was edited Jun 15, 2006 11:16 PM

Thumbnail by largosmom

Edit: Chris from Hallson's believes this one is NOT infected. I am leaving the photo in for educational purposes.

Original comments:
---------------------------------------

This one was labeled 'Old Glory' and is a new cultivar to me, so I can't verify it, but they had several in this nursery that were alike.

I should say that this one may not be infected...it is subtle, but the odd puckering on some of the leaves, and beginning of suspicious coloration in my mind point in that direction.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2006 11:16 PM

This message was edited Jun 16, 2006 8:50 PM

Thumbnail by largosmom

This one is 'Gold Standard'. It is slightly more subtle, but for the one darker leaf on the bottom. It shows the bleaching signs too.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2006 11:22 PM

Thumbnail by largosmom

This one is 'Stilletto' (hope that is spelled correctly). These are smaller leaves, but badly infected. Note the puckering on the leaves which are not normally that bad.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2006 11:24 PM

Thumbnail by largosmom

Here is another pic of 'Old Glory'.

Thumbnail by largosmom

Edited: Chris from Hallson's believes this hosta is NOT infected. I am leaving the photo in for the purpose of education...it fooled me, so it could probably fool you too...it isn't always easy to identify them.

Original comments:
-------------------------------------
This variety I am not sure, but the photo before it shows 'Love Pat', and I think it is the same, but I may be wrong.

These had just been watered, thus the strange glossiness.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2006 11:28 PM

This message was edited Jun 16, 2006 8:49 PM

Thumbnail by largosmom

Edit: Chris from Hallsons believes the coloration on this hosta is caused by a nutrient deficiency rather than HVX. I am leaving the photo in for educational purposes.

Original Comments:
-----------------------------------------------------
This one is an unknown, but note that sometimes you can see the virus from the underside of the leaf, or by holding the leaf to the light.

This message was edited Jun 16, 2006 8:52 PM

Thumbnail by largosmom
Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

This one was just IDd the other day on this forum. Name of hosta unknown. Never got that far with it.

Thumbnail by 1gardengram

Last are some better quality photos I took last year of my 'August Moon' hosta. I bought this one thinking "Cool", it sure looks different. To my horror this spring, I discovered that it was infected with HVX. Sure hope this thread helps prevent someone purchasing some infected hostas.

Laura

Thumbnail by largosmom

August Moon closeups.

Thumbnail by largosmom

Closeup with tag number 1

Thumbnail by largosmom

Number 2

Thumbnail by largosmom

1gardengram, thank you for posting your picture!

Laura

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

You know what's sad? The plants overall continue to look good, not all wilting and ugly. Makes it harder to find and get rid of the bad ones.

Cement City, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Laura,

Those are some pretty amazing pictures. Were these just at one nursery???

The Old Glory doesn't look infected. The Love Pat and the unknown blue you posted aren't infected either. Although it looks like the veins are darker in those pictures in reality it is the tissue between the veins that is lighter. This is a nutrient deficiency, not the virus on those two.

I almost didn't notice anything on the Gold Standard you posted, but then looking closely I could see that the lower leaves look to have some darker mottling. Good eye on that one.

Did you get a chance to tell the nursery owners? They need to throw out all of their Sum and Substance, Striptease, Gold Standard, and Stiletto and quit buying plants from that particular grower...

Renton, WA(Zone 8a)

Is puckering always an indication of virus? I have some puckering on a couple of hosta, but don't think I see bleeding, at least nothing like what is pictured above.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Well, the horror hit my garden Tuesday evening when I noticed the startings of HVX on my Striptease. I thought I was over the hump with this one as it ahs been in the ground for 3 or 4 years. Guess I was wrong. I would have pulled it already, but I have some others that are close and I want to get those out first so I can dig a huge hole around Striptease and get Everything out of that hole. I'll be looking for a new Striptease now.

Did someone mention Hallsons or Naylor test all for HVX?

This is the first leaf I noticed

Thumbnail by GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI(Zone 4a)

The second

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

And the third.

When I told Bill I had the virus in the garden (I got the division of Striptease from a friend so I will be calling her to let her know and for her to check hers) he asked what I had to do to the plant. I told him and he said why didn't you get it out of there already,,,told him I had to get a bunch of stuff out before that one, cause I was gonna dig one huge hole around it to make sure I get it all. Will be doing that either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Have the 10 yards of composted manure coming tomorrow. This transplanting is going to take Way more time than I figured. Lift plant, plant in new bed, scrub tool, scrub gloves, for each one,,,Oy Vey, this is gonna take all summer,,lol but, I have too much invested in my collection to Not do what I need to.

So far, this is the only plant I have noticed. Am Still watching like a hawk though.

Kelly

Lula, GA

Kelly

I still don't see that much that's difinative on your Striptease photo as absolutely HVX. I know the second leaf has mottling between the veins, so I really think ya need to run this one by Chris. Good luck, cause this is not a good feeling when you know for sure ya have it in one of your beloved hostas. A photo of a good case of it makes my skin crawl.

Chris probably is getting in some overtime on this forum lately! I have photos from last year that I will get off my computer and post.

Camden, TN

JBuresh,
I know hosta can sometimes pucker if the are over fertilized. Chemical damage can really change the appearance of plants.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I agree that you need to run it by Chris. If you've had a look at my thread, I thought I had it for sure. Chris doesn't think so. I e-mailed him the link and was amazed how fast he responded.

Ann

Renton, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks MyHosta! I just got a number of hosta and am pretty much a newbie. I haven't fertilized at all, but it may be left over from their previous owner.

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Kelly and everyome else. they say you cannot tell for sure unless it is lab tested. Kelly is your striptease near a cedar tree??? I can send you photos of a striptease that looks like it has a real good case of HVX. It is not HVX I can assure you. The plant las been doing this this time of year for close to 5 yrs. Yet it keep on growing and getting bugger every year. It is crouded right between two Patriots and neither show and type of infection are anything else.

Abpout this time of the year my cedars start to shed. They are close to 100 ft tell so you can imagine how much falls down on the plants. I am convinced it has something to do with the ceder shedding. Can anybody tell me what is the pronosis for HVX. I have looked all over. Does it kill the plant run its course are what. Everyone is talking about it. but what exactly will it do to the plant is let run its merry way. I ahve yet to see it said it kills the plant.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

oz,

I don't have any Cedar tree's in the yard, so that's one down. This is the first year that I have noticed this particular pattern. Last year in Sept. I took a leaf to Foxfire with me, showed it to Steve, he said nope, not the virus, just the plant making more chlorophyll before it goes dormant.

This looks nothing like that. It looks like the ink bleeding pattern to me. That's why I am questioning it. Would love to see pics of your Striptease.

I'm not really sure what the prognosis is of a plant that has it. I am going to be ordering the CD from Hallson's maybe that will say something.

Thanks,
Kelly

You know Kelly I have a supecious mind. I just wonder why none of the people are screaming it kills plants and the rest of us like here on Daves Garden have no idea. I will try to take a picture a D-mail it to you tomorrow. It really look bad and I think it is something that is assoaciated with Striptease. I see a lot of people cdomplaining about it on Striptease and I am wondering if it is not HVX at all and just some quirk of the plant.

Thanks Chris! I've updated the photos you mentioned but left them in as I thought it was helpful to see where confusion could occur--thinking if I was suspicious others may be also.

Yes, except for 'August Moon', these are all at the same nursery. Unfortunately, I could not find a manager to speak with on this occasion, and as I was traveling in the area, I will have to see what I can do via email tonight to the company. I used to do a lot of business with them when I lived in the Northern Virginia area where this chain is located. If anyone lives there and needs to know the name, dmail me, please. Otherwise, my purpose here is not to knock a particular nursery but to educate. I will be posting pics I have taken elsewhere when I get them. I almost always have a camera with me when I shop at a nursery anymore as I am collecting info on plants going into my landscape and find it extremely valuable to have a photo of the plant I am considering in addition to its name. So many tags are less than helpful, or downright wrong on their information so I try to look it up before buying a 10 foot plant for a 1 foot space.

Oz...all the info I have read up on Chris' site and the Hosta Library says it does not kill the plant. They seem to start out looking "interesting", then eventually get fairly ugly as the puckering starts up from the ones I have seen.

I hate to say this, but I could post HVX pics from nearly every nursery I have visited this year. You all are welcome to print my photos out and use them for educational purposes. Please ask me if you want to use them for other reasons.

Laura

Quoted from one of Chris' reviews on another thread...might be helpful.

"Hi Cheryl,

With gold hostas the bleeding tends to be dark along the veins, not white, although sometimes in the sun that bleeding also bleaches. The dark green bleeding and/or bright white bleaching has a pretty distinct look to it. In the case of these pictures of Gold Drop the fading seems to start at the veins but then crosses and carries over them to the edge of the leaves. This is more like surface damage, although it may have originated in the lower portions of the veins, but HVX shouldn't look like this, especially on a gold cultivar.

In the case of Red Hot Flash the margins should be dark green. The vein color is dark green, which is exactly what the whole margin should be, so the problem is not darker color along the veins but lighter color between the veins. This is what it may look like when a plant has a nutrient problem. The color change is occuring between the veins, not along them.

Lighter colored mottling tends to occur in green plants, usually the fragrant green ones, and will usually start along the veins and then radiate out.

Because the symptoms vary so much from plant to plant it can be difficult keeping track of them all, but there do seem to be similar patterns on similar plants that make HVX distinct from other looks, like frost damage, freeze damage, sunburn, overwatering, or nutrient problems.

I hope that makes a little more sense.

Chris"

Cement City, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Kelly,

You are absolutely right, your Striptease is infected. Sorry :( Reminds me of the first time I saw it in a batch that I had for a couple years, right down to that sinking feeling when you realize what you are seeing. It starts out slow, sometimes only a tiny spot or two, then grows over the years. Last year there may have been a spot or two on your plant that could have easily gone unnoticed.

And yes, that is a big misconception about HVX and how the plants will grow. Hosta Virus X does not kill the plants and in most cases won't even affect the vigor of the plants. If it did kill them the virus would have been wiped out a very long time ago. However, we grow hostas for their unique colorations; the virus changes all that. Once a hosta is infected it is infected for life.

Patriot, by the way, is one of the plants that is highly resistant to showing symptoms. There are thousands of infected Patriot on the market but they are not showing symptoms and personally I do not know exactly what it will look like once they finally do. The large majority of the infected Patriots started appearing last year so we might know in a few more years what the visual symptoms actually look like.

My DVD may help to identify the many different looks of HVX, but I also really need to add a larger section showing other problems in plants, such as sunburn, frost damage, spring dessication burn, overwatering damage, underwatering damage, fungal leaf spot, etc. At the end of the year I'll do a big update of the DVD with all of the new info we've talked about this year and hopefully add a lot more to clear things up a little.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Chris,

Thank-You for getting back to me so quickly. I was pretty sure it is HVX, has the classic symptoms. I have scoured the Internet for pics and info on HVX, so I am pretty familiar with the signs. By no means am I even close to being educated enough about this pain in the patootie. In fact, I'm in Hallsons right now ordering your DVD. I will be looking forward to the release of the next one.

Yes, my heart did sink when I saw the leaves. This is the first year I noticed anything on Striptease. I have been watching it very closely last year and this year along with some others that are more susceptible to the virus.

I will be digging every hosta within a 5 foot radius out and then digging to the center of the earth about 6 feet around this plant to make sure I get the whole plant, roots and all,,,hopefully fully intact. I have way to much $ invested in my collection to be spreading it.

I will be buying some abrasive items along with some major disinfectants to thoroughly remove the sap off of each tool I use. Already have 4 hand shovels that I use., Will have to get more spades and gloves. My obsession is expensive and time consuming enough as it is,,,now, I need more items. Anyone realize how long it's going to take me to transplant 300+ hostas into the new beds. I'm figuring I sould be done sometime next year,,lol

Thanks again,
Kelly

Aurora, IL(Zone 5b)

Well, I'm glad Chris confirmed Kelly's Striptease definitely had it. Mind looked like hers only worse. I was afraid for a minute that I trashed a perfectly good (otherwise gorgeous) hosta. But, I was sure after all the pics I've seen...

Kathy

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Kathy

Same here. I was positive it was HVX. I too have coured the internet for pics and info and will continue to do so.

Kelly

Aurora, IL(Zone 5b)

Sucks, don't it! I planted a Huecherra in that spot (because I was too lazy to dig up the whole area). I HATE IT! Actually, it's a peach flambe Huecherra and just doesn't look nice with the mulch. I think I'll go back today and dig up all the dirt and put my new Robin Hood there. That's the only drag about using mulch, it's a pain in the butt when you want to change things around. I have a large bed in the back that I'm still working on and arranging and re-arranging things before I put the mulch down. But, I'm sure I'll move things a hundred more times before I'm happy with it.

Kathy

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

Thank you so much Chris for all your help in this forum. I just ordered the DVD and am looking forward to receiving it.

Susan
=^..^=

Lula, GA

Well, Kelly, unfortunately I was wrong- the big guy has spoken.

I'm so sorry, and good luck getting out every last bit of it!!

Brenda

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Brenda,

ROFLOL,,,I was just gonna post,,,,nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah,,,,I was right and you were all wrong,,,,Not the I want to have HVX,,,but I knew it was that sarned virus as soon as I saw the dark bleeding spots. O.K., I'll get back to being a grown up now,,,,Still ROFLOL

Just ordeed the DVD,,,will also be ordering the new one as soon as it comes out.

BTW, Steve said the same thing last night in his e-mail back to me. Also hoping that it's contained and speedy complete removal.

Kelly

Chris---- This stuff on my Striptease does look like HVX to me. It never appears until hot weather sets in and the cedars sre shedding. Here is a picture for all of you to look at.

This message was edited Jun 17, 2006 1:26 PM

Thumbnail by ozarkian
Lula, GA

Ozark

Hope Chris gets back to you today but to my eye .......There are some really badly infected leaves near the middle of the plant, and quite a few that have obvious bleeding along the veins.

Boy, I'm so sorry, if what I'm seeing is true!! Obviously, it's not killng your plant- it looks quite big.

I know that a couple in th FOofS group of breeders have purchased an infected August Moon and are going to document it's decline with photos. They want to know if it kills the hosta, also.

Brenda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.