What do I do now?

Champaign, IL(Zone 5b)

I think that I have planted my irises too deep... Batik, Night Edition, and Supersition.. 2 inches maybe more. They are growing but are only 6 to 8 inches tall.. all my Mother Earth and 2 of my Superstition are gone. Are they too deep? And if so what should I do about it?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Yes, they're DEFINITELY too deep! Dig them up right now and replant them so that the tops of the rhizomes are level with or slightly (no more than 1/2") below the soil surface. Then trim the foliage back just enough so they're not top heavy and will remain upright when replanted.

While you have them out of the ground, inspect the rhizomes. If they're firm and undamaged, plant as is. If they are damaged (eaten), spongy, or mushy, either discard them or cut out the damaged portions, soak in a solution of 1 part bleach to 9 parts water for 20 mins, rinse in clear water, allow to dry for several days in a protected area out of direct sunlight, and replant.

Laurie

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I have been planting mine so that the top of the rhizome is exposed. That way I can keep track of it so that it doesn't become buried, and easily check it for soft and squishy vs. firm. I've heard that they will get sunscald if they are exposed, but this seems to work ok for me.
Sharon

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

They NEED to cook in the sun. Not down in the South and certainly up here in 2b we cover for the winter and then brush off soil in the spring. In fct one well-known Cdn,. hybridizer does not guarantee his rhz. unless we do cover them in zone 2b.

I plant all my rhz with leaves to the north so rhz. can cook.

Maybe sunscald in the south. I don't know. Would have to check with people in Arizona or Texas.

inanda

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Ginny,

I remember Neil telling me once that irises grown in hot desert regions must be completely covered to prevent the rzs from ACTUALLY cooking in the desert sun.

I generally plant my rhizomes with a light covering of soil over the top probably just because it makes me feel like they're a little better protected from wild temp swings and hungry bugs who crawl over the surface of the soil.

Rzs tend to adjust their own preferred planting depth over the first year, anyway. Sometimes they'll crawl out of the soil, and sometimes they'll bury themselves more deeply. I figure they know best, so I don't fuss with them once they've found their preferred depth (or lack thereof).

Laurie

Champaign, IL(Zone 5b)

Of the 6..
2 were too far gone
1 I think I saved... how much damage can you cut off before its too much
2 just fine.. replanted them shallower
1 had said.. "ok... Since you don't know where to put me.. I'll show you" and I had to do nothing :)

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

That's not bad for a first attempt. The first year I grew irises, I planted about fifty and lost all but three by the following spring!

Laurie

Champaign, IL(Zone 5b)

If not for the fearless crew of DG the irises would have been lost...
oppps.. too much tv growing up.
But seriously, thank you all. Like I was telling my wife this morning.. just the finding out what we were doing wrong.. paid for me being here :)

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Laurie, it's kind of reassuring hearing that you didn't know everything about growing irises to begin with! The one thing I am definately going to change this year is to make sure my iris trimmings and diseased bits and pieces get burned.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

The only thing I'm likely to know more about than the average iris gardener is how to kill the doggone things. I have EXTENSIVE knowledge on that subject!

Laurie

Brewster, MA(Zone 6b)

Aha. Iris killings. That resonates. I think the reason I'm now concentrating on historics is because almost every new iris I bought and put into my garden either died a terrible death or didn't even come up enough to actually die.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Constance 22,

Try the dwarf and median beardeds, in addition to the historic TBs. Even I find it difficult to kill most of them.

Laurie

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I am in Central Texas but not in a desert region. I plant my iris with the top showing so it can get some sun. Otherwise the humidity here will get my iris

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.