Help with Balsam

(Zone 6a)

Hello, I grew some annual Balsam this year(first time) and I think it's diseased. The new leaves close to the top of the stems and near the flower buds are very contorted, some with little black spots. However, the new leaves growing lower on the plants look fairly healthy. Does anyone know what this could be? Should I rip them out? The variety is 'topknot', they're double. So maybe the leaves are supposed to look like that? I just don't want our other impatiens to get infected.
I look forward to seeing what you all have to say! :D

Thanks,
Steve

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

sounds like thrips...they are not hard to get rid of but you have to spray them. A good test to see if they are thrips is to hold a piece of white paper underneath the plant and gently shake the plant where the thrips are over the paper. If you see little black/brown dots on the paper-thats your thrips. I am not sure, but I would think that you could use safer's soap or a hort oil ( check first) to spray on the plant. You could also cut back the plants as thrips tends to stay on the new growth, and imp responds well to being cut back.

(Zone 6a)

Thanks, tigerlily. I'll do the test tomorrow to see what I find. The plants are looking a bit better then they were, so hopefully I can get rid of whatever it is.

Thanks again,
Steve

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.