Bengal Tiger Getting Ready To Bloom!!!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Doin the Happy Dance!!!

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

You DESERVE to do the Happy Dance! Great display!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks Gymgirl .. even if they didn't flower I still love the leaves.

X

Key West, FL(Zone 11)

More variegation.....very nice...Im hooked...

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

I know this has been said over and over, but buy from a reputable dealer. Unfortunately, I guess I didn't. I got 6 in today and was very disappointed. They were thrown in a garbage bag where half of them fell out of their container and broke. I know they'll perk up, but when you pay as much as I did, you expect more. One of these days I'll learn!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I'm so sorry ashley! Make sure you go to the Garden Watchdog and report them .. you can also find reputable dealers there for specific plants.

http://davesgarden.com/gwd/

X

san antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

I was trying to remember their name...I always thought bengal tiger was the one that has a bright yellow flower with a white stripe down the middle of each petal...I'll have to find a picture of it so I can find out what one that is...similar foliage, though, just not quite as bright as this one...here's mine!

Thumbnail by meiyu
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Oh that's gorgeous! meiyu.. mine are on the verge .. getting impatient!

X

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

beautiful colors! mine are so small, but i'm happy to have them....gardening is trying to teach me the lesson of patience. looking at yours doesn't make it any easier! i can't wait!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I dug up a canna today...or tried to. Turns out they have been growing roots instead of flowers. Should come up next year... i hope!!!

san antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Yeah, gardening teaches me to appreciate delayed gratification, but around here you don't have to wait too long for cannas to bloom. Mine are usually all in bloom before the first of May if I start watering in March (usually don't do anything from November to April) and they're actually looking kind of battered now because I've been moving them around, trying to color and size co-ordinate better. I moved Bengal Tigers to the back, Tropicanna to the center, and Striped Beauty to the front...I can't wait to see how they'll look when they fill in.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Meiyu,
Could you post some pics of your newly organized cannas? Thanks!

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

i would love to see them as well!

san antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Hmmm...well, since I just moved almost all of them, thinned them out in the process, and placed them all in brand new flower beds, they don't look good yet, but if you can use your imagination, I could...Let me go take a picture of my new favorite that just bloomed...it's one that Calla gave me last year when she was here for her real estate class in Sept. I'd forgotten all about it cuz it died back really early and I thought I'd lost it. I'll go take a picture real quick...you're gonna love it! Be right back.

san antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Okay, you've got to use your imagination or give it a month or two when it grows in a little more and isn't so hot and blooming...everything looks great around Sept-Oct usually. Do you know what the dark canna is? Susie/Callalily gave it to me, but I need to ask her.

Thumbnail by meiyu
san antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Here's some cannas by the pond, but they were just planted and broken up two days ago, so they are looking bad...

Thumbnail by meiyu
san antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Now, this side looks really bad, because I had to thin out all the pretorias, brought in tropicannas and striped beauties and I think I put some richard wallaces in the big front corner, and cleopatra over by the chimney behind the hosta...like I said, you'll have to imagine it..ha..it'll be a while before it looks good.

Thumbnail by meiyu
san antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

I think up here was supposed to be journey, tropical sunset, princess di and primrose, but I don't know what angel pink's doing popping up in there, so maybe I moved the wrong ones...again!

Thumbnail by meiyu
san antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

I put pretoria in front of purpurea? here, and although you can't see them yet, cuz I just planted them, I have tropicanna, tangelo, and striped beauty in the bed too...I think. I guess I'll find out if I did what I'd planned when everything blooms.

Thumbnail by meiyu
san antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

I'd send you a picture of my main source of stress, but you don't wanna see huge piles of mulch, I'm sure...heh.

Wanna do my garden? Lots of weeding needs to be done and lots of thinning out of the irises too. And maybe you could tell my cannas to quit taking their time growing and shimmy on up outta the ground!! Out of 18 i only have 3 that have popped. That is just unacceptable!! LOL

san antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Haha...well, don't you live up there where they have polar bears and snow? Seems like it'd be too cold, but whenever I'm having problems with mine, I give 'em some vitamins (superthrive) and flower power food (bloom booster)...have ya tried those yet?

(I didn't include the pictures of the beds I haven't weeded yet...ick!)

I live about 30 miles outside of KC. Our cliamate varies year by year. This past winter was mild and we only had one snowfall that was more than a dusting. We are now in a drought. Here lately our climate has been close to zone 6 weather. As for the cannas I gave them organic fertilizer and I have 6 planted in chicken manure. Only one had popped there.

san antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

I'll bet it's just the drought, then. Do you guys have to dig them up and replant them? I have friends that do that, but it seems like way too much trouble to me!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.