Question on Sweet Potato Vine (ipomoea batatas)

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

If a tricolor SPV dies back and regrows from the tuber, will it revert to a normal green color. I have these vines coming up all over where I have or had tricolor SPV but they are green in color with dark edging. I pulled one up fearing it was some kind of weed and it had a good size tuber on the end.

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

I had one die back - I thought it was gone - but it grew back to it's normal color. I don't know why yours would revert to a different color.

It looks normal for the most part except a slight tinge on the edges. The new leaves come out a reddish color and turn green as they mature.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

budgielover, my tricolor ipomea had many shoots that reverted to green. I, too, thought it was a weed, but no, it was green ipomea. I also had tricolor shoots come up so what I've done is pinch off the all green and let the tricolor do their thang.

Thanks. It certainly appeared to be the same as far as leaf shape and placement goes but I didn't realize it could revert. Glad to hear I'm not fighting a new kudzu. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.