Source for salt marsh hay in/around Central Mass?

Millbury, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi, I am looking for a source of salt marsh hay in or near Central Massachusetts. last year I used Straw as a mulch and this year I would like to try salt marsh hay. Any one know of a place? Thanks!

Lincoln, RI

I don't know if they have it this time of year, but I seem to recall that Briggs in North Attleboro carried it last year. There was an article in the ProJo about winter mulching that quoted one of the owners as recommending it for winter mulch. I *think*.
http://www.briggsgarden.com/

Millbury, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Amys!

I actually called Weston Nurseries and got some info on Salt Marsh Hay - It is not harvested until the fall, so it is usually not available until that time. They recommended either Sterile Straw or chopped boiled hay, which they sell by the bag. I don't know where I would find Sterile Hay - last year the only hay I could find in my immediate area was not sterile and had plenty of seeds. This year I might try the boiled hay and then buy salt marsh hay in the Fall for next year - and I will be sure to contact Briggs! Thanks for the advice! Bugs

Norfolk, MA

I bought two bales for $9.99 each, last Saturday at:

Gilmore's Inc
1015 East Street
Walpole, MA 02081
508-668-2300
508-660-7675 FAX

There's plety more, I suspect. Good luck.

R/
Greg

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.