Vines: how to attach to a fence?

Waco, TX(Zone 8a)

We plan to plant Lonicera x heckrottii 'Goldflame' honeysuckle in front a 6' cedar wood privacy fence which has a wood and wire trellis attached to the top of the fence. Any suggestions for attaching the honeysuckle to the wood fence to train it to grow up in the direction of the trellis? We want the attaching method to be discrete and attractive but also sturdy. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi cederstudio. Here is what I did. I put galvanized nails in the fence. I place them in the direction I wanted the vine to grow. Sort of erratically along the fence, ending at the top of the fence. I didn't pound the nails entirely in, leaving app. 1/2" sticking out.

Then I strung wire from one nail to the next. (I don't know what gauge wire you might need 'cause I don't know how heavy a honeysuckle vine is) I criss -crossed the wire a lot to support the vine close to the fence. I have successfully used this method to support Clematis and Climbing Roses. Once the vine starts to twine around the wire the entire support system is invisible. This really works. I hope this helps....Gloria

You can get the wire at any big box store.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.