Stephanotis - Any Ideas?

Phoenix, AZ

I was a sucker more than10 years ago and picked up the seeds for Stephanotis at the Honolulu Airport. To my surprise, they have all sprouted and grown - at one point over 30' of vine. We moved to AZ and of course, she had to get a haircut. Not to worry, she's almost back to a 30' vine, but she has failed to bloom for me. She's obviousely healthy with bright shiny dark green leaves, loves her location and growing like crazy. I know nothing about this vine - do they flower from old growth or new? Should keep her pruned? What sort of food should I give her and how often to try to nudge booms? Any and all advice appreciated!
Linda

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Linda check with the southwest gardening forum here. I am sure someone there is growing this.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Linda,
I know this vine grows rampant around here (California) but I have never grown it myself. My neighbor has it and I can enjoy the smell on a breezy evening so I have never bothered to get one of my own. I know they do NOTHING to theirs. It probably gets a drink from the sprinklers that are on timers, but not really sure. I know they never fertilize and it gets full sun.
I found it in PlantFiles and there are some comments about fertilizing in the lower section of the page, maybe that will help you. Good Luck
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/53785/index.html

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I had one planted in part shade at my old house and did nothing to it (no fertilizer, no pruning unless a tendril went a place I didn't want it) and it bloomed fine in those conditions too. (I did water it though...guess that's not totally doing nothing!)

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

They bloom on new growth mostly, but mine have bloomed on very old wood, too. They usually bloom late Spring and into summer.

Part sun to full sun. Mine scorch in full sun, so I keep it a little bit shaded.
-T

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

At a nursery where I worked we got a nice-sized plant on a trellis with no blooms. I fed the thing some 15-30-15 soluble and soon it was absolutely FULL of blooms and of course it sold immediately.

Oh, I regret not having bought that plant! I had grown some from seed once and don't recall what happened to it. Don't think I had it long enough to bloom and prolly sacrificed it due to lack of space indoors to overwinter it.

I'll have another someday.

Robert.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.