growing rosemary

Richmond, VA

Im aware that rosemary started form seed has a poor germination rate.
Is there anything that can be done to increase the odds of germination?Also,
does anyone know, where I could obtain cuttings of rosemary, relatively easily and cheaply?Preferably locally.Thanks in advance for any information given.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

You should be able to get rosemary plants locally for a couple of dollars. I've seen them here for that price at local nurserys, WalMart and Lowes.

Winchester, VA(Zone 6b)

they are not winter hardy in winchester - someone gave me a housewarming present a few years back - it was a beautiful rosemary plant. But it didn't survive winter

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I never had any luck getting them to overwinter in Manassas either, which is zone 7. But Richmond is a lot warmer. My SIL has gardenias growing outside in her yard in Petersburg, which is just down the road from Richmond.

Chesapeake Beach, MD

You need to find a hardy variety (Arp or Hill's Hardy are the two typically recommended for this trait) and then try to plant it in a protected spot if you want it to overwinter. Some winters will kill my rosemary, but it makes it through most winters in my southern Maryland herb garden without any added protection.

Growing rosemary from seed is a ridiculously difficult proposition. Buy plants or get cuttings (it roots very easily from cuttings). Obviously, if you're taking cuttings, try to determine the variety or at least take cuttings from a plant that has overwintered in your area.

Richmond, VA

Thanks for all the tips.Especially the one for a hardy variety.The two closect lowes/walmarts stopped selling rosemary around the end of april.
I can still find it though at "The Great Big Green House".This is one of Richmonds biggest nurseries and well hidden treasures for gardeners.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

If you want to try cuttings for postage, I'd be happy to send you some...ready to give mine a 2nd haircut...wild thing that she is...and hardy to my area...have had her 2 years now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.