Good Price?

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Got these from the local Lowes... unusual to find them there but my wife just happened across them - We were only going to buy one but they looked too good to pass up... only $70.00 each... not bad for Southern California where everything seems to be outrageously expensive.... the lace leaf is a Tamukeyama and the other is a Sangu Kaku. Just wanted to share. This is the first time I will be putting them in the gound. Many years ago when I was back in Virginia I grew about a dozen as Bonzai. Being in the Navy I eventually had to transfer and could not care for them so I left them with a very good friend who still enjoys them today....

Thumbnail by Hardwood
Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Here is the coral bark.

Thumbnail by Hardwood
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

yes good price on sango ...nice tree ...tha tamu is not of typical form and I am suspicious ..still a nice tree and probably worth the bucks but HUMMM never seen one like that...they are weeping dissectums yours isn't.. and the color looks a little light for a tamu ...mine is in full sun and is deep dark red ...yours is NOT...can't tell leaf shape but it is as I said not typical ...and deep six that bamboo are you nuts!!!!! do you want to grow a variety of stuff or just bamboo that is the question ;>000...as far as I'm concerned it is a plant that should NEVER be grown buy a nice bamboo painting or bamboo furnature and tourch that WEED!!! David

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Wow David...I guess you don't like bamboo! I have just one, fargesia muriale...a clumper that behaves and is really the only one hardy in my area. I have it planted behind my Omure yama. Some bamboo can be nice companions for JM. Hardwoods bamboo looks like it might be a clumper as well.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

I will take some pictures close up of the leaves - I just got them both 3 days ago and I think they were in full shade for some time. The bamboo has been very well behaved since putting it in the ground. One is Alphonse Karr and the other is Budda Belly - both clumping. My yard is large enough to have a few "weeds" I split it frequently and put it pots for friends - also with big yards and in need of a privacy barrier. But back to the trees. I will post some more pics tonight so you can get a better look at it. I do know things get "mislabled" frequently at the growers and I want to be sure about it.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

ya you are RIGHT ...I love the way bamboo "looks" and I'm down with clumpers ..I still have one ...and I do mean ONE ... it doesn't seem to do much here ...I think I have what you have and it tends to die back each year ...it's about 10 years old in partial shade and looks not much differnt than it did the second year!!!. I have been trying to get rid of some beautiful yellow bamboo in my front yard for the last EIGHT years ...it just keeps on popping up entangled in many bushes ...save extermination of all plant life I assume I will be digging it up for another EIGHT...I had one clump of ruuning bamboo almost completly destoy one of my water gardens...came right through the heavy duty roofing rubber I was using for a liner ...and i had to completly take apart my waterfall and still was digging it up FOUR years ltr ...yah I HATE THE STUFF...If you use metal flashing 3-4 ft deep and two feet above ground and sourround it it may be ok but that is a heck of alot of work for a worthless plant IMHO ...what they have may be clumpers but I didn't think so ..I guess we'll find out if they repost .... David S.F.P.O.A.R.B. ( society fror the prevention of all running bamboo ;>) )

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Ok I stand corrected if those are true clumpers and I have No idea about those names ...I am always more than a little suspicious of anyone that sells it as such...but clumpers don't spread ...You live in a much more conducive bamboo inviorn ...so it may well be and it's none of my business anyway ..it just always raises a red flag .... and if it does turn out to run your friends will sting you up ...thats for sure ...But not knowing ...I will "let it go" ...do post some more opics ...it may be a tamu but I've never seen one like it...it has the shape of a red scolopendaflorium ...i just checked mine and it does have same green trunk and branches ....You could i assume stake and trim one like that but that would take years and for a 70$ retail tree I doubt that happened...David

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

...i just checked mine and it does have same green trunk and branches ....You could i

the above referrs to MY TAMU...... Not my red sclo

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Here is my Omure Yama with the bamboo Fargesia muriale visible in the background.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Todd how old is you bamboo ...maybe mine just doesn't get enough sun ... yours seeems to be in full sun!!! mine may be another variety but I think it's the same there just weren't more than a couple of clumpers available ANYWHERE back in the "old "days ;>)...but it's a far cry to yours and it's over ten years old David

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Here a some better pics that don't have bamboo in the back ground.

Thumbnail by Hardwood
Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

One more of the whole tree.

Thumbnail by Hardwood
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Those are lovely trees and certainly the sango kaku is a good price. I'm too ignorant to know if the other one is true to type - but even if it were a seedling you are in the ball park for that size of tree.

And Todd. Where have you been hiding that photo of the Omure Yama? It's to die for.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

the leaf pattern looks right...but there are alot of dissectums that are similar ....but almost all weep yours is upright ...is it grafted i couldn't tell by the pic if no then maybe a seedling of tamu not necessariliy true to it's parent...if it is grafted who knows ...it's a nice tree but it is an upright so I am stumped....enjoy what you got you did good on both anyway...David

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

I appreciate all the feedback... I'll keep you posted on their progress...

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh, good - please do!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I'll wait a couple of days then take another pic of Omure yama when the azaleas are open. Quite a stunning combo.

David, seeing as you are in the same zone as I am, then there are relatively few bamboo that would be hardy for you. Fargesia muriale and F. nitida are among he hardiest clumpers. I got mine in 1999 and it was just 8" tall seedling. Today it is about 6 feet (its in a bit of a hollow compared to the maple so doesn't look that tall). And yes, it is in full sun...everything grows in full sun in my area (including ferns) since we get so little sun anyway!

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Todd yah I think my clumper doesn't get enough sun ...but it does die back every year unlike yours ...strange I know it was suppose to be one of those two they sound familiar and was purchased about the dame time...may have been mislabeled cause it aint worth a crud. You are probably right with clumpers not to many grow in our zone ...now with runners I can atteast with the utmost insanity that most DO...David

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.