the proper time to cut back a gardenia bush

Saint Simons Island, GA

i have a large gardenia bush that was attacked by aphids this spring, i treated it and it survived but looked terrible until a week ago when it started blooming, in a week i have had over two hundred blooms. when would it be most beneficial to cut back the bush which has gotten very tall?

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

Dooley I was told to prune a little at a time after the first big flush of blooms. I did that with mine and it looks much better. I just went in and pruned a few here and there and made sure it kept it's shape. I didn't prune the branches too short as I wanted the shrub to somewhat keep it's shape. And I didn't prune so much that it would go into shock. I pruned mine last year and this year it looks much better and has bloomed much better. Afte the first big flush of blooms in spring I continue to get intermittent blooms throughout the summer. Somebody here on DG told me how to do it. I sure was glad to get the information.

Lin

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Ive never pruned mine. I just pinch back new growth after it blooms. It stays rounded and bushie. Its in a five gallon(ish) pot.

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

My gardenia is 5' tall and in the ground. I've had it for many years and last year it didn't look so good and the shape wasn't very pretty. Someone here on DG gave me tips on pruning it and shaping it up. This year it looks much better and has a prettier rounded shape.

Lin

Saint Simons Island, GA

danceytx (lin) thanks so much my gardenia is at least 6 feet tall and is slowing down with the blooming and really needs reshaping so i will tackle it next week using your instructions. dooley saint simons island

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

You're welcome. Just be sure it has finished blooming. And when you prune the branches don't prune it real hard. It should be fine.

Lin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.