too late to plant in zone 6a

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Need some advice. I am interested in adding campanula pantaloons and some hollyhocks to my garden. I will be ordering from White flower Farm and was wondering if it is too late to do this in zone 6a or should I wait till the fall? THIS IS A NEW THREAD.

This message was edited Jun 14, 2006 7:42 AM

Athens, OH

I often order from the Bluestone Perennials 50% off sale and plant theall sorts of plants at this time of the year. They do well. Just make sure they get enough water. [I am zone 6a, Athens, OH].

ROX

Finger Lakes, NY(Zone 6a)

I agree with Rox. I too am in zone 6a and plant through June and sometimes into July if the price is right on a plant.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Hey, if you find a good sale, go for it. If it is perennial, it may have enough time to make seeds to resow for next year.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm obviously not in your zone, but I think the only trouble with planting stuff in the summer is that you have to be vigilant with your watering, especially if it's hot and you have a dry spell. If you don't like having to baby plants along in conditions that are less than ideal, then wait until fall, but if you don't mind a little extra maintenance then you should be fine doing it now.

Bridgewater, MA(Zone 6b)

I plant right through the summer because of all the good deals you can find. I agree with ecrane3, water is very important, and a little extra vigilance.
It's hard to do, and I usually don't, but for plants that have yet to bloom, you can also cut their flowers off so they don't expend energy in trying to reproduce that they could use for establishing themselves. I cut the flowers off of a sickly little Astilbe that was having a tough time establishing, and this spring, it came back about three times the size it was when I planted it and is going to have a huge bloom this summer. I had another plant of the same cultivar and size that looked healthy, so I let it bloom. It is fine this year, but nothing compared to the other plant that had its flowers cut off. I don't know how much can be attributed to cutting off the blooms on the sickly plant, but I think it has something to do with the difference this year.
Also, sometimes plants will go into early dormancy after being planted, especially later in the summer, and you'll think that you've lost them, but you'll be pleasantly surprised when they come back the next spring. I've had Cimicifugas (Actaea), Smilacinas (Maianthemum), ferns, and Arisaemas, to name a few, "die" on me after summer planting, only to return in the spring.

-Greg

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Hi Greg now i know for sure ok been trying this but not to much luck.. thanks for info..

Twyla

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks everyone! I'm going for it. Can't wait !

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Rox - have a question, how are the perennials from Bluestone? What size containers do they send the perennials in? Went to their website and want to order lots! Thanks.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

mar, I love Bluestone Perennials. The plants are small, shipped in little cell packs, but don't be dismayed. I was shocked how fast those little guys exploded into growth. Many bloomed the first year, and the rest have bloomed beautifully this year. Check out the Watchdog; most seem to have the same experience I did.

And being a clearance sale junkie, I plant all summer long. I tend to baby first year perennials with some extra water anyway, but I had great luck with everything I planted through the summer months.

Have fun,
Neal

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

A note from zone 4. I plant all summer as well. We even have a fall plant swap in September to get new plants.
I am another fan of Bluestone Perennials, every plant I have gotten from them has been great.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Rox. I'm ordering today!

Athens, OH

Mar110-
The plants from them are wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a link to a thread which discusses the 50% off sale and their plants in general.

I would highly recommend their plants: mostly 3 packs (2.5" I think).

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/607425/

ROX

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.