Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

next are the basil

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

this is my combo of mint and parsley

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Clawson, MI(Zone 6a)

What a difference! They all look so beautiful. And big!
I noticed you have a lot of basil...do you make sauce or pesto?
One of these years I would like to see if I can can pesto. Great on salmon.

Gurnee, IL(Zone 5a)

Herbie43-- Nice pictures! What are those things arround your containers? What size are those black pots and are they nursery pots? Looks like you're off to a good start. LOL,
Bernie

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

7222 - i make lots of pesto but i also use it fresh when we make sauce for our pasta. peso is easy to make and basil is real easy to grow.

bernie - the black pots are 2 gallon and i get them for free from my local sams club. they have a flower dept. and when they get deliveries they come in those containers which they give away for the asking.

those metal things around the containers are just small chafing dish holders. got them in just a buck. last year my containers left marks on my new deck which is that fake wood stuff so i thought i would try to raise the contyainer off the ground. eventually the marks go away but it takes a while and my dw was getting nervous. LOL

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Looking good, big brother!!!! ;^)

Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

I use fresh basil in everything I can think of, any omelette or just as a garnish on scrambled eggs, in every type of salad you can think of except maybe cole slaw or jello salad! And so on! Sometimes I eat a piece fresh off the plant when I am grazing my garden!!! That's how, with my last garden, not one cucumber made it into my kitchen! They are sooo delicious when they are young and tender!!!!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Lookin' good, Frank! You are way ahead of me, an that jes ain't raht!!

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

its because you were a great teacher and you sent me great seeds.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

All looks so nice, how large do the sugar snap peas get? Wonder how well they would do in this heat...humm

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Saint - I have Tom Thumb Sugar Snaps - they are totally cute!!! I have one in a 6" pot. He's about a foot tall and is weighted down with peas. (His brothers are in window-box-type planters - taller plants, but they haven't near the peas on them.) I don't think they like the heat, but I'd bet they would do fabulously for you in the fall! These are great in stir-fry.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i have two pots filled with sugar snap peas but i have no pods yet. the pots are completed filled. what is wrong with them. thanks

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Mine just recently started blooming and setting pods... Have you had any blooms yet? If not, you should see some soon!

Beautiful plants!!

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

critter - i'm glad to hear that. i'm getting nervous. they are supposed to be a cool weather crop and its past the middle of june.

will keep waiting.

thanks

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

The weekend before last, a guy at the farmer's market said this just hadn't been a good year for snap peas here... of course, last weekend he showed up with snap peas in 10 pound bags, so either his plants suddenly kicked into gear or he found them somewhere!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Or it's all relative to the amount one plants!

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Herbie - Everything looks so beautiful and neat! Does it stay that way? It looks like you perfectly measure the distance of each pot.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I've decided to take a ride over there while he's at work and make a big ole mess so his plants can look like MY plants!

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

very funny, very funny.
kanita - i can move the pots anyway i want. once i put up my nylon fence for my tomatoes i will move a few around .

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Yeah, me too...

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

and then sequee and me can post a picture and see which one is more neat. LOL

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

LOL! I was going to move YOURS around!!! (Like maybe to my house!)

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

a real funny, funny lady.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I showed DH the picture and asked could our plants look that nice and he rolled his eyes and said since I started on DG he can't even get me to match up his socks and I'm gonna spend THAT much time organizing plants?!? He has a sad but true point....

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

next year i'll make them all messy, hows that. LOL

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

heck I just want you to come and organize mine...humm and could ya bring the deck too?

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

its all about the deck then?? not my great container garden.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

OK - fine...great container garden. Now will you send me some peppers and tomatoes and basil and... Oh, never mind. Just come over and organize my mess. It really does look pretty bad now that all of the brush is growing back in "the jungle" - which isn't helping the bug situation one bit. I spent hours out there on Monday and it's still a mess, but now I'M covered with bites. (Think maybe I distracted the little buggers from the plants??? HA! My EP's are now more hole than leaf. Bummer! I was really looking forward to those veggies~:-()

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Can't I lust after both?

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

sequee - maybe its time to put containers onto your deck and stop killing yourself with that other stuff no matter how pretty it looks. i remember a little story that went something like this
"is difficult to remember that your first objective was to drain the swamp when you are knee deep in alligators" LOL

araness - how about the gardener himself??

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

No deck! LOL! And I'm going the opposite route - more in-ground gardens. I just need to clear away more of the jungle to count down on the bugs. Oh, joy! So nice to have more projects for the fall!

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

vsm upi rbrt, rbrt get it cleared out enought that it won't grow back?

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

LOL If he comes with the deck and the plants why they heck not, can never have to many men!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Holy Cow - Now Stephen King's got your keyboard!!!

Yes, I do believe I can get it cleared enough to accommodate my needs...or die trying!!! I went out there this evening and it was almost frightening - I swear those babies grew 6-8" in the past 2 days! The NJ Champ and Jaune Negib are vying for monster growth award! Both have stalks on them that are wider than my thumb by far. And you ought to see the Southern Night! There must be 20 of the biggest, fattest flowers on there that I have EVER seen. Oh, Lord - please preserve them to fruition! I have had rvae reviews from my tomato friends in Australia and Russia. If they are half as good as they claim, I'll be doing the ole puppy leg shake!

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i hope you are gonna save some of those seeds for your VERY GOOD FRIEND in dutchess county.LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.