Happy Lil Camper...

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Thought you all might enjoy this pic...it's Sinningia Freckles making a nice show.
I just love this lil guy & it blooms it's head off. Great in or out of a terrarium.

Enjoy,
MsC

Thumbnail by MsCritterkeeper
Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh that's great! I love it and can see why you do too- do you have him under lights?

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh Lottie, it's beautiful. What a great photo too.
Patti

Hiya April,
Yes my sinnigias go back & forth under lights depending on how they look. Right now I've moved them to the end of the shelf cause they were getting a bit bleached on the leaves.

I do love this sinningia & it blooms & blooms for me. It is in an open top terrarium.
Thanks Patti, It has spent some time in the wonderful terrarium you shared with me.

MsC

MsC

Thanks- I have two mini sinnigias and am planning on putting them in the terrarium that I have yet to start. So then you have him in a pot rather than planted in the terrarium?
Glad to hear from you again MsC.
April

Thank you so much for the warm welcome back April!

Yes, some of mine are in small pots setting inside terrariums & some are actually planted in terrariums. It just depends on what I "artistically see at the time. "Freckles" pitured at the top of the thread,had an open top type cup it stayed in...but it's flowers were coming out the top so I just let it sit on the shelf.

Now most of the info I read says they do better in a "mock" planting. Meaning you plant them in the pot and cover it with soil. That way if it or another plant needs attention you can just lift it out without disturbing the roots of everything planted.
Most of it is really just a personal choice. I've had them planted ever which way & aside from having mushrooms grow in one.That's the only trouble I've had.

I'll post a pic later of the light I used & the cover that my 10 gallon one has. It is very easy to do. You can make a 10 gallon one pretty cheap.
Oh & you can fit 4 ~10 gallon terrariums length wise on one shelf under a 4ft shop light, too.

Ki, was suggesting that baking the potting mix in the oven for 20-30 minutes @ 200 or 300* was a good way to sterilize the mix so you don't get mushrooms & the sort popping up...so I might try that.

MsC

Ok, will wait for your pictures.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.