EAB, Emerald Ash Borer (Agrilus planipennis)

Just received this in my e-mail-

Quoting:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACTS:
June 13, 2006 Jeff Squibb 217-558-1546

Chris Herbert 217-558-1539

EMERALD ASH BORER CONFIRMED IN ILLINOIS

Illinois Department of Agriculture activates state response plan to eradicate the exotic pest; urges public to learn the signs of EAB infestation and promptly report suspected cases

GENEVA, Ill. – A destructive, non-native pest that feasts on ash trees has been detected in northern Illinois. The Illinois Department of Agriculture announced today that a beetle found in the yard of a Kane County home east of Lily Lake is an emerald ash borer (EAB).

“A coalition of local, state and federal agencies, including the USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, U.S. Forest Service and Illinois Department of Agriculture, has been preparing for this day the past two years,” Agriculture Director Chuck Hartke said. “Now that the emerald ash borer has been confirmed within our borders, we’ll activate our response plan and begin the task of eradicating it. The first step is to conduct an extensive survey of ash trees in the area to determine the extent of damage. The findings will help establish boundaries for a quarantine that will stop the movement of potentially contaminated wood and nursery products out of the area and prevent the spread of this pest.”

The emerald ash borer is a small, metallic-green beetle native to Asia. Its larvae burrow into the bark of ash trees, causing the trees to starve and eventually die. While the beetle does not pose any direct risk to public health, it does threaten the tree population. Since the emerald ash borer was first confirmed in the Midwest in the summer of 2002, more than 20 million ash trees are dead or dying.

“We’ve had tremendous success identifying invasive species through public awareness and education,” Warren Goetsch, IDOA division manager of Natural Resources, said. “Nearly every sighting of the Asian Long-horned beetle in Chicago was reported by a citizen. With that kind of assistance here, I’m optimistic we can contain this pest and save ash trees.”

The homeowner discovered the beetle and alerted the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service’s Illinois field office, which sent the bug to its lab in Romulus, Mich., for identification and notified IDOA nursery inspectors.

Inspectors visited the residence in “The Windings” subdivision where the beetle was found and discovered several infested ash trees. They also canvassed the neighborhood and uncovered at least six additional infested trees within five-blocks of the residence, as well as evidence of an infestation in an adjacent subdivision to the north.

“The diversity of the landscaping in this neighborhood will help our eradication efforts,” Goetsch added. “Only about 5 percent of the trees are ash varieties.”

Inspectors have not determined how the beetle arrived in Illinois, but suspect it may have been transported here in contaminated firewood from a quarantined area in Michigan. Michigan and Illinois are two of the five states where EAB infestations have been confirmed. The others are Indiana, Ohio and Maryland.

The emerald ash borer typically moves only short distances by flying, but can survive long distances in transit on ash nursery stock, ash logs, branches and firewood. To avoid the accidental introduction of the beetle to new areas, people are advised to purchase only locally-grown nursery stock and locally-cut firewood.

The emerald ash borer is difficult to detect in newly-infested trees. Signs of infestation include the presence of metallic-green beetles about half the diameter of a penny on or around ash trees, thinning and yellowing leaves, D-shaped holes in the bark of the trunk or branches and shoots growing from the base of the tree. Anyone who suspects a tree has been infested is urged to first contact their county Extension office. The Illinois Department of Agriculture also will offer a toll-free hotline at 800-641-3934 for extension-confirmed infestations.

Options for treating infested trees are limited. In most instances, they must be removed.

Images of EAB-
http://www.forestryimages.org/images/384x256/2100048.jpg
http://www.forestryimages.org/images/384x256/2100049.jpg
http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2003/030528.EmeraldAshBorer.jpg
http://insects.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/agrilus.jpg
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/plaveg/pestrava/agrpla/images/agrpla14.jpg
http://www.ipmimages.org/images/1536x1024/9009032.jpg
http://www.forestryimages.org/images/768x512/2100049.jpg

Great photo of EAB larva-
http://ceris.purdue.edu/napis/gif/eab-larva.jpg

Personally, I think its over. This documentation in Kane County is several years ahead of when it was originally projected to have hit Illinois.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

A planted a few white ash trees last year in my woods to try to get more diversity from oaks and maples. Ash trees are very rare around here so hopefully the bugs won't be able to find them. I'm about 95% sure there are no ash trees within 20 miles of mine.

Doubt that's far enough dear. You know my thoughts on EAB. I truly don't believe there is any way to contain it.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Well, when I planted them I knew of the possibilities. If they eventually succumb to EAB it will be no big deal. I will still have plenty of others.

Unfortunately, I have quite a few mature and healthy Ash here. I've been planting replacement trees right up in tight next to them. If they're gonna go... and I feel in my bones they're all going to go to plant heaven like the American Elm and the American Chestnut, might as well have a replacement species planted to carry on. I don't particularly care for "bald spots" in my yard.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

So so sorry the EAB has reached your neighborhood. We have been dealing with it here for sometime. The state is using some areas in suburban Toledo, Ohio as living laboratories in using chemicals to determine what , if any, might be effective AND manageable by a homeowner. Imidacloprid is showing the most promise. The village where I am chairman of the tree commission has been soil drenching the roots of some ashes we want to try to save. We did this against the direction of the state. They wanted all 464 ash trees removed at village expense. We choose not to. The commission felt that the state would not be succesful in stopping the borer advance with their cutting strategy and indeed, they abandoned this strategy this year. This will be the third year we have applied the chemical. The trees were not infected when we began. They remain healthy so far. We are surrounded by active borer activity in all directions. Perhaps Illinois will be better managed.

EAB was about 50 miles from me in southern Cook County last year but it was undocumented in that the EAB wasn't sent to a lab for identification. Hi Snapple, I truly don't believe it has anything to do with how well a State is managed or not. If it is in Kane Co and Cook Co, it is in Lake Co and McHenry Co as well as a few others already and is a hop skip and a jump away from Wisconsin. There were some threads on this over in Trees.

I have at least 100 Ash trees here on my property. I have no intentions of taking them down if they become infected at this time. I'll let them go down on their own to create biomass and they can hang out as a skeleton for a while (birds love snag trees) before they go down like a few of the Elms I have here that I treated for DED that finally succumbed even after they were treated at a cost of around $1500 per tree. Yes, I realize the cost of treating Ash is considerably less but I don't see being able to keep up treating all the trees as a prophylactic year after year. Additionally, I'm in an upper watershed management area and can you imagine the effects on our water supply if every homeowner around here started treating their Ash? The long term ramifications of all these chemicals can't be good.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

I agree with you Equil. However we are looking at an estimnated canopy loss here of 30% to 40% in many areas. Not all homeowners will be inclined to treat. Be careful about which trees you plan letting go without cutting. Dead wood on ash becomes exceptionally brittle and hazardous within a year or two. Any dead ash should become strictly a hard hat area. They should never be left to overhang, buildings, streets or any public area.

I'm on 5 acres. Most of the people here are on lots that are at least 2 acres. I'm really going to let mine stand and drop when their root systems fail but I wouldn't even think of doing that if I was on a smaller lot or if my tree was in range of a neighbor's home. The three Ash that are in "striking" distance of our house will be removed so I shouldn't have said I'd leave every last one standing. Actually, one was removed a few weeks ago in an attempt to get it out of the way for a Martin House. I was going to select a different area and had my eye on sacrificing a different tree but figured might as well let that Green Ash go as in my mind it is going sooner or later. It was towering and I'm not going to mess with that being 30' from my house.

"Not all homeowners will be inclined to treat", around here I can guarantee the vast majority will not treat. Best guess is that less than 5% will treat and of those 5%... many won't keep up season after season. And then we still have all the good folk hauling firewood in and out of state. I'd say it's over and anything we do is merely buying time to establish other native species. I'm not normally a defeatist but I think given all we know and based on the lack of success containing EAB that ignoring existing containment failures is not in our best interests for the long haul. There are no viable biological controls for this that I am aware of. EAB is going to take an unprecedented toll on all Ash from sea to shining sea and I believe Chestnut Blight will pale by comparison in my humble opinion. Treatment is staving off the inevitable and I'd classify it as a waste of my limited financial resources right about now based on my somewhat limited knowledge. I'm going to continue going the route of using my money to plant replacement trees and I started doing so two years ago because I was monitoring what was happening in other States. Here's hoping something is discovered that effectively eradicates EAB.

I think we're going to be staring down a 30% canopy loss in this area also which is going ot give some opportunistic species an even greater foothold. Our Village had an informal chit chat with me and evidently they've decided to change gears and not treat. It sort of sounded to me as if those capable of providing treatment (at a cost of course) were circling and fear mongering flyers were being distributed of what would happen if one chose not to treat. It would appear my Village is going to "companion" plant as I am doing. This Village is "liability" conscious so any infected Ash near playgrounds and parks would most assuredly be removed although I do not know what they will do with Ash that are infected and not posing a threat of damage on the way down. Hard hat area- sheesh, some of these are so big we'd be talking Sherman Tank area.

Chatham, IL(Zone 5b)

I understand the defeatist view well, but is there really no way to kill this beetle? Ebola can be controlled if it threatens mankind, is there no way to quell an insect infestation? A small area of my hometown is insect controlled. They spray something each week and those areas have no bugs, at least the ones that bite you. I feel that any time you lose a species to an invasive predator the whole world suffers. At the very least I hope that the afflicted trees get the same attention that our most horrible diseases get. We thought that smallpox was gone, but it was saved in a labratory somewhere. I hate to think that people will succumb to the inevitable if it is possible to preserve a species. There is a point where politics dictates what can be saved, and I hope that human nature can prevail and we can save a species from extincion before it is too late. Take some trees to a controlled lab somewhere in the world until the offender is controlled. The violator should be saved as well, but with invasives, it is a grey area.

(sigh) Ash are now being saved in "laboratories". It started last year I believe.

The beetle could probably be killed however the pesticides that would have to be used would have consequences far worse than the loss of all Ash.

Chatham, IL(Zone 5b)

I am pleased to know that Ash trees are being saved. Is it not nature's law that every force has an opponent? I hate to see invasive fauna/flora but they almost always have a vice that keeps them in check. The green man has a system that keeps things in balance. When one half invades, perhaps it is time to bring the other half about. Our planet evolved very well, all things in balance. There *is* a way to quell this bug, however we might have to shuffle the flora to do it. There has to be a way to keep the Ash around. 60% of the trees in Springfield are Ash. We have many miles of fields to slow the progress, but I believe that life always finds a way.

Quoting:
I hate to see invasive fauna/flora but they almost always have a vice that keeps them in check.
Back in its native range, EAB most assuredly is kept in balance. Here on North American soil, it got the equivalent of diplomatic immunity.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.