Separating Potted Thriving Flowering Tropicanna in Mid June?

Cedar Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Howdy All, I have three containers of Tropicannas that are doing great but getting very crowded in their containers. "Rescued" them from HD last summer and kept in gh for winter with intentions of planting in ground this spring; oops I'm running late? I've finally gotten around to creating beds for landscaping in barren front yard so I want to move them there soon. Is is possible to separate them without destroying this years growth and flowers? Any suggestions and/or instructions welcome, please. They now get full sun on and off most of day and will go to a spot where they will received full sun most of day with slight shade from an Abyssian bananna just recently planted in that spot (about 6 ft tall) and privacy fence shade very late in afternoon. I'ts reaching 100's now during day. They'll get all the water they want. Also, I was wondering if maybe I should separate, pot up for a bit, and then put them in ground after they recover from any shock I might cause. Please help and many, many, thanks.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

geekgranny....I have done it both ways, starting them over in pots, as well as putting some directly in the ground. Either way worked out well. They don't seem to have a "time of year" that they need to be planted by. I get them all year long, when I find another color or variety, or someone decides to share with me, etc. None of them has gone to the great canna ground in the sky as of yet. They are very hardy plants, it really takes quite an incident in order for you to kill them. You still have several months of warm weather before fall hits, so they will still bloom.

Cedar Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks, MerryMary, I've decided to plant them very close to where the pots are located now because they are so very beautiful with the afternoon sun shining through the leaves. I have to make a bed though so it will probably be another week before they get into the ground. Last year we had an extremely warm November with 100's some days. Then first week of Dec. we had several nights below 20 F and one night 13F (way, way too early for that!!). I lost or had much damage to a lot of tropicals and tenders due to not having heaters set up properly in GHs. The leaves on Cannas were frozen back but came back eventually. That GH was at 22F when I discovered the heating problem. We can usually count on having untill late Dec. for great growing conditions outside for many plants so the cannas should provide lots of great color for many more months. BTW... A friend came over 3 weeks ago and helped me get bunches of canna tubers into small pots just to save them. I still have about 150 more to pot up or get in ground. Cross fingers and toes that they are not rotted or dried up. They are in my ACed semi-dark garage now WAITING and "screaming" for attention. Thanks, GeekGranny

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.