My new chicken coop is finished!!! - Take a tour!!

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

6/13/06

~~ Well, I am very excited that my very first chicken coop is completed and my 8 chicks have moved in!! (2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Ameraucanas, 4 Silkies - which I got for Mothers Day) Thanks to my wonderful husband, it's pretty much a penthouse with a view!! ....He's a "good egg"!! Let me give you a tour.... :)

Note: I'm printing off 4 pictures together and then scanning the final picture, which I will post below. If they end up too small to see, I'll post them separately.

~~ We built the chicken coop under a huge lean-to, against the back of our garage. The 4' X 8' coop sets 30 inches above the ground, which makes it easier for me to reach inside for the waterer, chickens, hanging feeder, etc. The 1/4" screen floor lets their droppings fall below where I have the ground covered with a 4' X 8' piece of landscaping fabric. When the fabric gets sufficiently "soiled", I'll just lift the hinged sidewall, remove the soiled fabric, bag it and throw it away, and replace it with a new piece of landscaping fabric. The landscaping fabric is cheap and works like a big "diaper" for the whole coop. ...A great idea that someone suggested on different poultry website.
~~ The coop has 3 nesting boxes; each nest has its own door in the back so that when I collect eggs, I only have to deal with one hen at a time. There are 3 roosts - one is 24" above the coop floor, one is moveable (intended for my Silkies) and is 4" above the coop floor, and the other roost is 19" above the coop floor - in front of the nesting boxes.
~~ On the doors to the coop we used a 19 gauge - 1/2" wire screen. The screens are attached with (long, heavy) construction staples that go in my husband's pneumatic nailer.
~~ After hearing about the fox's raid and slaughter of my neighbor's chickens last week, I decided to dig under the base of the coop, along the perimeter, and bury several stacked cinderblocks and large boulders, just as a precaution in case any digging predators try to dig their way under the coop. Any predator is going to have to dig halfway to China before he can start digging his way back up under the coop! Granted, the chickens are already 30 inches above the ground, but I do not want them to have to experience a predator (underneath) them. ....Sounds too frightening to me - I can imagine what my chickens would think about that!
~~ This detail is hard to explain without a picture, but the coop is located up on an elevated area - up on an 8-foot high retaining wall, under the lean-to. The lean-to actually covers the backside of our entire garage where the land goes down hill to our alfalfa field. The sloping away of the land makes for a great unique space under the lean to. Having the coop 8 feet in the air - up on the area at the top of the retaining wall gives the chickens some added protection from predators and weather. We access the coop area from the west side of the lean-to where the land is at the coop level. You can't see it in the picture but the large opening in the side of the lean-to has a new 4-1/2 foot wide cross-buck door that my husband built. It's has black hardware and is beautiful!
~~ My husband also added a new vinyl (barn) window from Menards and gave the chicks a great "view". They LOVE setting in the window and looking outside.
Once the chickens have settled into their new home, we'll try letting them outside to graze. What fun! Our 6 grandchildren think that the chickens are the greatest things and come to see them daily! What wonderful memories they'll make here on "the farm". …Thanks for taking a tour and allowing me to share my excitement with you!
Glenda

Thumbnail by Glenda_Michigan
Phoenix, AZ

Wow Glenda, those hens have a great home! I especially love the window with the girl looking outside. Your flock is very lucky to be cared for so well.

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

Congratulations and what a nice set up!
I bet you are very excited. ;-)

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks! Yes, I am very excited. I have wanted my own chickens for a long, long time. All 6 of our grandchildren are 5 years old and younger, live within a couple miles of us, and are having a great time with the chickens, which I knew they would. They're only little once and I want them to have "old fashion", clean, wholesome fun, and make lots of great memories. Gotta have chickens then, right!? :)

My husband (is not) an "animal person", but (is) crazy about me ;), so he really went above and beyond the call of duty for me. Our two daughters surprised us (both), and everyone else who was there for Sunday dinner, when they gave me my 2 Ameraucanas chicks at the dinner table on Mothers Day. I think that when I screamed "OH! My chickens!!" he knew it was a done deal. Our oldest daughter then announced that a wise man once said, "It is easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission." ....That wise man is her father. My husband just looked at her and her sister over the top of his glasses and shook his head. What could he say? (That) is how I got my first chickens. The rest of the chicks came a week later, from a sweet friend of ours who knew how badly I wanted chickens.
Life is good, and we are truly blessed.
Thanks for taking the "tour". It's always fun to share happy news with folks.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Very nice!

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Update....
Well, my coop got its first raccoon challenge last night. When I went inside the "big door" I found muddy little raccoon paw prints all over the "hinged sidewall" that, when unlocked, exposes the area (under) the coop. (You can see the hinged sidewall, under the coop, in the bottom right picture included with my original post.) So far, the little devil hasn't been able to dig his way under the coop because of all the large boulders I buried around the perimeter of the coop, and all the other preventative measures we took when building the coop. In any event, even if he does manage to get under the coop, he still can't get to the chickens that are located 30" above the ground, and enclosed in 1/2" square 19-gauge wire on the coop doors and 1/4" square wire on the floor of the coop. ...Cross your fingers for me. Hopefully, we've got the coop (truly) raccoon proof. Guess we'll find out.... In the mean time, I'm going to use my live-trap and see if I can catch him. Wish me luck!

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Wow, you are reaping all that hard work. My coop is nowhere near as protected as yours! So glad that coon didn't get in.

Bossier City, LA(Zone 8a)

I am moving the the country soon and am seriously considering chickens. Any suggestions for a novice?

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

Research and research and read and read and lol...and go to your nearest feed store to check out about what feed they have..so ya don't have to end up running all over the place looking for feed...I make my own feed formula for my chickens...

somewhere, PA

Oh chickens have just been one of the best things about living in the country for us.
We really enjoy them. And we love their eggs. And kids really do love them too.

Are you getting a rooster so you can have more chicks? Our little bantum rooster
is not aggressive with people at all but does his job in giving our broody hens fertile
eggs! (We don't let them hatch anywhere near as many as they'd like too. We'd have
too many chickens and BBQ's are not in store for these pets of ours).

Tam

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Sounds as tho some serious planning went into that coop. Good job. I'll bet that 'coon is a very frustrated little critter and will be back soon to try again. I hope the live trap is successful for you. By the way, 'coon meat is very tasty. I marinate & bake it with some MD wine, then add a bit of water, cover tightly and cook on medium heat in the oven until it falls off the bone. Debone it, add BBQ sauce, gravy, etc. or Miracle Whip for sandwiches. Don't let that good meat go to waste.

Oregon City, OR(Zone 8b)

I'm impressed with your handywork. That's really, really nice!
Lucky chickens.

Wilkes Barre, PA(Zone 5b)

OK, real chicken novice here... What do you do each night about the door at the top of the ramp? Do you have to close it each night, then open it in the morning for them?

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes, that is exactly what I have to do. Eventually, I hope to have a closed-in pen attached to the wall so that I can leave the door open all the time. I'll put a door on the pen too so that they can "free range" when I'm home, but until then, I'm the first thing they see in the morning and the last thing they see at night...

balllina, Australia

Would you have any tips for me about starting up a new coop , Thanks

Thumbnail by sammy12345
Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Well, all I can tell you is that I'm VERY happy with my coop. The information regarding what we did and used to build it is above, at 6/13/06, along with pictures so that you can see it too.

The only addition that I would have made is, I would have put a light inside the coop - hanging down from the ceiling, but closer to the door where I could easily change the light bulb.

...I do LOVE having the coop up off the ground (thigh high) where I can easily reach in and I'm not having to bend over all the time. Having the chickens on the 1/4" screen floor has insured that 99% of the droppings are DRY, which drastically cuts down on the smell. It also lets 90% of the droppings fall below onto the landscaping fabric, which is removed, bagged, and new fabric put down when needed.

I am also happy with the extra security we put in by burying cinderblocks and large rocks under the foundation of the coop so that digging predators couldn't dig their way under the coop. One muddy morning I went out to the coop to find muddy raccoon handprints all over the front of the coop at ground level! He had come to raid the coop but couldn't find a way in, and with the 19 gauge - 1/2" wire screen on the double doors, if he managed to climb up the front of the coop, he couldn't reach in and get a chicken.

I have 10 chickens in my coop now... 2 RI Reds, 2 Ameraucanas, 2 Millie Fluers, 2 Barred Rocks, and 2 Frizzles. -- One big happy family! And in the last 2 weeks, I've started getting eggs!!

Like, I said, I'm VERY happy with my coop! :)

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

sammy, google "chicken tractor" -- that's what I'm doing for my future flock of three.

Glenda, I love your coop! Wish I could go all out with chickens, but I live in a neighborhood, so...

I plan to put spring latches on the openings. A coon could probably figure them out, but it'll take him more time.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Chicken tractors are often called chicken arks in the UK and Australia.

balllina, Australia

Thanks zeppyi did not know what they were talking about

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Chicken ark does sound better. More like a place for your chickens than a way to plough your chickens under.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.