6x4x6 greenhouse $29.97

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Okay, it's not the fanciest greenhouse you've ever seen but this price is cheaper than I've seen for similar greenhouses.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=269621

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

hey thanks for the heads up....i bought the last one...and also a market umbrella as the wind busted my other one.....i had been looking at greenhouses like that as my first greenhouse....just to see if i would like that concept b4 buying an expensive one....i am going to use it sort of as a lean too greenhouse as we have bad winds here.....hopefully it will hold up....when i went back to show my hubbie there was no pic left of the greenhouse.....so i am assuming i bought the last one....thanks again!!!!

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

maybe i didn't buy the last one...your link works....but when you do a search on greenhouse it wont pull up.....i hope i got one anyway,....

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I think you have to go through that link, which was sent to me in a sale email, in order to find it. I tried going to the site without going through the link and eventually found it but it was still listed at $49.99.

I've been pondering how to tie this thing down so the wind won't blow it away.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

if it is like the others i have seen they have a 3 or 4 inch piece of plastic on the bottom of the piece that kind of lays on the ground...what i plan on doing is using the greenhouse in a lean too type of greenhouse....to use my house as one side to give the greenhouse added structure ......put cynder blocks on the inside bottom (nearest my house)...and put cynder blocks...(hopefully, on the 3 to 4 inch extra length of pvc....).....somehow i will figure it out....

i talked with someone else that had this same type greenhouse and they left it free standing and never had a problem with wind.....i will go find the link

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

here is the link for her green house:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/556817/

i am not expecting alot from this greenhouse....just to see if it will make it thru 3 months keeping plugs warm and exposed to the sun....; if this works out this season then i will probably get a 'real greenhouse':)

This message was edited Jun 14, 2006 5:11 PM

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

here is the link for her green house:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/556817/

Tri-Cities, WA(Zone 7b)

I put one of these up once and the wind literally tore the thing apart. The frame is weak and the plastic is thin, so it distorts in the wind. Also, it does not shed water because you can't keep the plastic taut enough, so lots of rain can produce pockets of water on the "roof" leading to further fragility.

IF you can keep it protected and don't expect too much wind or rain, it's a great price.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

oh well.....i guess i get what i pay for....i am hoping to use this as a lean too type green house where my house will be one of the walls.....anyway, one can dream....(grin)

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

tropicalaria, if you read this add(first link) it says that its made of 16 mm steel tube. This small greenhouse has not a plastic frame........only plastic(PVC) cover.
Janett

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I saw that one too. It might be better plastic, but I think the main difference is it has a lot more shelves. It's not much bigger.

Cinder blocks are a great idea! You could also attach the cinder blocks to some kind of tie down.

I also thought I might use the tie downs that came with my inflatable yard Christmas reindeer. I've never had any problems with that blowing away.

It arrived today. I haven't opened the box but it's very heavy - must be sturdier than I expected.

Using the side of the house isn't an option because the only side where I could do that is shaded most of the day. Sort of defeats the purpose of a greenhouse. :>)

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

open it , open it, we wanna see....we wanna see!!!!! (grin)
let us know what it looks like when you get to it.....(patiently sitting back down)

what was amazing about this whole purchase was that shipping for the greenhouse and the 9 ' market umbrella was only 9.99....even on ebay the umbrellas trend about 15-20 dollars shipping alone much less the greenhouses trend 15 to 20 dollars shipping also.......so the shipping was way cheap and they said it ships tommorrow......

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I will in a little while. Not trying to torture you, just busy. LOL

Ebay is no bargain any more. Since the fees went up, so many sellers have hiked their shipping charges to increase their profits since they don't pay Ebay fees on shipping charges.

I've actually seen sellers selling at item for $1 with $15 or $20 shipping to get around paying some of the Ebay fees on a sale.

Tropicalaria, obviously if we had the money we'd be buying $500 or $1,000 greenhouses instead of this one. But I figure this one is better than no greenhouse at all and it fits my budget. LOL

If the rain pooling up is a problem, you could always use another piece of heavy plastic to set up a rain fly over it like you'd use on a tent.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Well, I opened the box. It looks nicer than I expected. Plastic looks reasonably thick. The metal tubes look sturdy. Instructions are a single sheet that's simply a diagram but it looks easy enough.

I have to say for the money I'm pleased. It was far cheaper than the much smaller patio greenhouses I've seen.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

hart ....aint that the truth....(if we were richer we would buy a GREAT greenhouse).....oh good...i am glad it looks good...thanks so much again
!

i just love this forum

Shenandoah Valley, VA

If we were richer, we'd have taj mahals of greenhouses. Greenhouses that would make everyone ahem green with envy. LOL

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

oh heck...if we were richer, i would have gardeners who took care of everything and i would fly all over the world getting plants ....to heck with a greenhouse

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Nah, not me. I like digging in the dirt. LOL

Tri-Cities, WA(Zone 7b)

I wasn't trying to rain on your parade - just giving feedback on my experience with this model which I did order from the same place once. Yes, I'm aware that the frame is metal, it was the cover I was referring to as thin plastic. The 16mm frame (3/5") was too weak for my weather, even being metal. I know that my weather may be harsher than what others experience, and if I had it again I would certainly take additional steps such as putting it against the house and knocking the water off, which have been mentioned in this thread. I still think it's a great deal, I just tried to provide useful information on my experience with it and things to watch out for when using it.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Sorry if I gave the impression I didn't appreciate you writing about your experiences. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Who knows, maybe the first puff of wind will carry this one off to OZ but I hope not. At any rate, this is really all I can afford and I figure it will be a good starter greenhouse. :>)

We don't get that much in the way of blasting wind here in the winter and usually not a lot of rain or snow either. (Bite my tongue. Watch us get a three foot blizzard this winter. LOL) During summer thunderstorms is a different story. I had a very sturdy, very expensive patio shade house with one inch aluminum in the frame and a complete set of sturdy tie downs twisted into a pretzel by a summer storm here several years ago.

The frame was completely ruined. But aluminum is a lot softer than the steel in this frame too.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

tropic i didn't take it that you were raining on our 'greenhouse' either .....(grin)....thanks for your input.....what i am wondering have you gotten another one that is working?? if so what kind etc....thanks:)

Tri-Cities, WA(Zone 7b)

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but I haven't had success with anything I've purchased under ~$100. I used to run a lot of greenhouses at different temperatures and needing isolation from each other, so I was always experimenting with cheap solutions to augment my more permanent greenhouse (which i had to leave behind). I'm in a harsher climate now with 1/10 of the land, so I've severely scaled back my tropical and subtropical collections.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7774541986
~$200 w/shipping, 10'3"x9'3"
This one, though more expensive, is very sturdy and well-built. It handled very strong winds and rain for me without a problem. I purchased it for $120, shipped, from the same people, 5 years ago. I could not get more than a full year of use out of the custom cover though without the plastic breaking down, despite the claims of it being rated for multiple years. There is no guarantee, as I was informed when I contacted them about it, and they didn't sell a replacement. I suspect it really didn't have an UV inhibitors in it as it should have. I fastened lockwire rails into the end poles with tek-screws and continue to use it now, putting new 6mil cheapo construction film on it every year.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7775568119
$150 w/shipping, 10'3"x9'3"
This one is very similar to the one above, though less expensive, and not as well made. Also seems to stand up well to bad weather. I believe it to be a knockoff of the one above by a different asian supplier. The plastic is cheaper and the frame isn't quite as nice, though still sturdy. I cheated on this one by placing a second layer of film over the entire structure and anchoring it down with cinder blocks, so I don't know about the longevity of the plastic.

I also tried several that were constructed more like a tent or gazebo. With the weaker poles and no crossbraces they couldn't handle rain and wind either. I staked all of the them down so that they wouldn't blow away. One, with 1" steel poles, collected water in pockets in the roof and then blew over, literally twisting and bending the metal supports to the ground. Steel is no indicater of strength, since you don't know the grade of metal or the thickness of the metal that has been made into tubes (and the suppliers don't know either).

Finally, I have used a number of small models similar to that mentioned by the OP. These have worked well for me indoors or inside of other greenhouses, where I could easily maintain a local higher humidity or isolation. With some of the models, smaller than that referred to by the OP, I have kept them outside and then transported them inside, plants and all, when the weather got bad.

[edited to fix links - eBay makes it difficult to create sparse links and DG can't handle long URLs]

This message was edited Jun 16, 2006 12:38 PM

Poquoson, VA(Zone 7b)

tropicalaria,
Off topic, but check out www.tinyurl.com to shorten those long links.

Tri-Cities, WA(Zone 7b)

Yes, I actually found the prefix that let me reference the auctions by id # alone, which was short enough in this case.

(Also completely offtopic)
Professionally I work in web technologies quite a bit and I'm not a big fan of tinyurl. It obfuscates the destination website as well as the content within it and makes you dependent on the accompanying text to trust what the link leads to. It also allows the company to track users through the internet and their relationship to each other and the content that they visit. I don't normally advocate against it, I just choose not to use it myself for these reasons. :)

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

thanks for that information and experience....i am just wanting to try this this year and if it seems to be something that is going to assist my plugs and my gardening experience i will upgrade to another....; if not i haven't lost alot....i appreciate your help:)

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

got my greenhouse yesterday....it is heavy plastic...will not put up for a while.....; there is indeed a 'lip' on the bottom of the actual plastic that will enable me to put cynder blocks on it .....thus giving it added protection from the cold....will keep all posted about how it performs...will probably not put it up until closer to the winter....thanks again!!!1

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.