Jalepeno plants in trouble?

Utica, MI(Zone 6b)

My jalepeno plants are planted in the 'best' spot I thought.......but they seem to be doing the worst of all the peppers........they get lots of sun, and have been superthrived and fertilized not more than a week ago because they looked like this.......they are curling up at the edges of the leaves......I have seen this before, but I dont recall what the problem was......I dont know if I am doing something wrong or is this just a jalepeno trait? have grown them before, but dont remember any problems.......thanks for any help.....they are at the left side of the front raised garden.......

Thumbnail by houseplntjunkie
Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

You might want to try in the Pepper Forum too. There's a few really knowledgable pepper people in there. Good luck!!!

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

I have just about given up on my jalapenos and anchos. I have lost a few and the couple that are left seem to be stagnant. A coworker told me that they can't take a lot of sun when they are small, so I set up screens with some old curtains. But that didn't seem to do much. I picked up a nice healthy serrano plant from a store, and it's doing great right now in the pot that it came in. I'm not going to mess with it much, cause I have had such bad luck with the peppers this year.

Good luck, and I hope you can save all that work.

Utica, MI(Zone 6b)

I am not ready to give up yet.......I am going to leave them and hope.......all the other peppers are doing nicely.......I figure jalepenos are pretty easy to come by at the farmers stands and markets.......If they dont do well....that is what I will do.....thanks for your thoughts.......

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

As long as you're not seeing any pests (check under the leaves), I wouldn't worry about it.... bet they'll grow out of it as they adjust to being out there... not a jalopeno trait particularly, I don't think, but sometimes I see this on a plant or two and just write it off to a difference in exposure or watering, and they generally put out new growth that looks fine.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

I've always thought jalapenos were one of the easiest to grow. Sometimes it takes them a while to get going, but they finally do. Just be sure to not let them dry out. They really droop quickly when too dry, but perk right back up with a nice drink. If you have fertilized them recently, be sure to really give them lots of water every day.

Sometimes a few of my plants that are on the end, in my raised beds dry out before the others do. I bet they are just drying out a little too much and are stressed. Let us know if they pull out of it.

Utica, MI(Zone 6b)

thanks guys......I will keep you posted.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.