Two new best friends!

South San Francisco, CA

Today I introduced "Beni" to "The Emperor". They seem to be getting along just great, ya think?!?

Thumbnail by nurserydude
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I love the foliage you manage to put together. And in pots you can move them around. And you have such good inventory to work from.

All of my trees are doing well including the Villa Taranto. Those Japanese Maples are tough!

South San Francisco, CA

Glad to hear the news on the Villa Taranto. Yes, they are tough, tougher than most give them credit for.

As for the combo, it was somewhat by accident. My poor Viridis was not liking the exposure (as Beni will not in a few weeks) so I decided to swap them.

That particular Beni was my first "real" maple (had a Sango kaku from OSH). Last year, with the crazy Feb. weather it developed pseudomona 3 inches from the crown! I was heartbroken. Alas! I brought it back to the nursery, isolated it in a deep dark corner, and crossed my fingers. The disease spread quite a bit as the season progressed but finally the weather warmed and the spread ceased. Now, a year later, there is no sign of any problems and it is back home, frolicking amonst its peers. (yes, maples do "frolic" from time to time)

Yes, they are tough, tougher than most give them credit for.....

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

You might want to separate them a bit, Beni looks like it can't keep its leaves off the Emporer! [oh my]...lol

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

So glad that your Beni survived. Why did putting it in a deep dark corner revive it?

My Germaine's Gyration is putting on new growth.

New growth on Beni Fushigi has powdery mildew. Any ideas?

South San Francisco, CA

The "deep dark corner" is actually an area in the nursery that is away from everything else, up under a staircase. It's where we put trees in doubt to recover and, more importantly, isolate. The "deep" and "dark" portion have nothing to do with the recovery, it just sounds kinda spooky and has a mad scientists lab appeal to it ;o)~

As for the powdery mildew, hit it with neem oil. I assume air circulation is good (if I remember right from your photos) but what is the light situation there? Too much shade can wreak havoc...

Glad to hear that Germaine is Gyrating...

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks, I'm sure that it's too much shade. I'll try neem oil next. It's on it's way to sunnier surroundings in the winter so that should fix the problem.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.