Cleopatra

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

For the past couple of years , I noticed that the Cleopatra; which has green leaves with a few maroon streaks , with yellow and red blossom petals, had a few solid maroon leaves on the entire rhizome. So I took all the solid maroon leaf rhizomes and put them in a pot all to themselves. Now they are blooming for the first time and they are so pretty.

Do your Cleopatras get solid maroon leaves on one rhizome?

Cricket

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

The Pot of Maroon Leaves is Cleopatra

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

those are really nice mine are just green paul

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Mine are green, too.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I have sent questions to the wholesale/retail company that I bought my cleopatras from.

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Cricket you have a very pretty canna.
Patti

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

that's great! I have had Cleos for many years and never a solid burgu ndy leaf.......

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

The company said solid maroon leaves was normal for the cleopatra. Some get them and some don't.
I potted up a green leaf cleopatra 2 weeks ago and it has a solid maroon baby leaf emerging from the soil off the same rhizome.. I keep getting lucky.

Oakland, CA(Zone 10b)

Does anyone know what Cleopatra is a sport of? My distinctly variegated Cleo of last year is this year a solid burgundy - still very attractive, but not the wildly variegated Cleo I first wanted. Do they often revert? Thanks for any info --

Chris - THGA

Dublin, TX(Zone 8a)

My Cleo's are also green with the dark stripe of varigation that we all love to see when the leaves open up. I have never seen a Cleo with sold burgandy foilage, very impressive. I would love to have some of mine "convert" and mix in with the greens................that would cause some "oohs and aahhs"! :-)
Happy Gardnening,
Belinda

Oakland, CA(Zone 10b)

But . . but . . but . . . There's no variegation at all on mine this year. I want blotches! I want streaks! I want . . . weirdness!

Thumbnail by Chris_THGA
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

They are werid they are not stable

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Are you talking about yourself Paul or the cannas? LOL.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Both

Oakland, CA(Zone 10b)

Sounds like there's a place for Paul in my garden LOL! Gotta watch out for those streaks and blotches, though - get out of that Florida sun!

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Its also called Chinese Schicophrenic Canna some guy was selling theam this year on e bay useing that name some sold for 30 bucks LOL Paul

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Can deffinately say its a very interesting Canna. Its never boring---always a change from year to year== month to month.
I will be making a Cleopatra Bed next spring.
I already have a Tropicanna and Pretoria Mixed Bed on my new property.
Having to Landscape new property-----Its fun.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

A friend of mine said he is going to give me "3 Cleopatra and a burgandy color one that just came up beside the cleo's". I probably won't get the burgandy one after I tell him what I learned here!

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

Anybody having a rizome to share? I have lots of different seeds and tubers to exchange. Just let me know if you are interested.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.