"Kopper King" HIbiscus

Sunset Beach, NC(Zone 8a)

I love these as they are so-o-o large ---- 10"-12" in diameter! And the burgandy leaves are a bonus.

Thumbnail by BDunn
Red Oak, NC(Zone 7b)

I really like the veining in the petals! Very georgous! Thanks for sharing.

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

Ooo that is wonderful........do you know in what zones it can overwinter?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

That is a beaut!!! I have to put that one on my list.

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Wayside Gardens shows zones 4 to 10.

Jackie

Or......that same nursery where I got my sea mahoe got my DIL a 3 gal. one of these for $18.50, Lisa. See, you need to come over here for a stop at Eastern Lake Nursery.

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

OMG! I want that!

Robert.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Wow that is a huge bloom Barb. I bet it is a stunning plant with the burgundy leaves

the foliage alone makes them worth what ever you have to pay...you decide to trim it I want cuttings.I only have one and have 4 ponds on my property...Hibiscus do well around the edges

Thumbnail by jackieshar
Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

Barb,it's beautiful! Will you be collecting seeds from this one? If so I'd love to trade you out of some, or I would be more than happy to send postage.
DeeS

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hey Dee, do you remember I owe you a "something sometime"? LOL Email me.

I've been watching it to see if it's developing any seed pods, but I don't see anything. Any comments on this? Also, do you think I can start cuttings? Please offer advice as to how to do so and I'll be glad to share with ya'll.

Barbara

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

You should be able to root tip cuttings. :)

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

So what kind of hibiscus is that, Barbara? Not the tropical though the flower sure could be.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Kell, these are Hibiscus moscheutos often called dinner plate Hibiscus because of the large flowers or hardy begonias because they will take cold winters and are treated as a deciduous perennial. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/40919/index.html

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Barb put your cuttings in some good potting soil, put in the shade and keep them damp

Thanks! I'll do several so I'll have trades for the Plant Swap next April.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Gosh I could eat off one of those, Chele. I wonder if they would grow here. Very pretty Barbara, very pretty!

Monon, IN

Jackieshar, that is an EXCELLENT idea---planting hardy hibiscus around a pond! Thank you for the idea!

CJ

Monon, IN

I believe that mallows are one of the easiest plants to root. I know we had a Rose of Sharon---same family---that we just cut off a branch, not a tip cutting, a thin, adult branch, stuck it in the ground and it rooted with no problem! Bear in mind that the tags that came with my hardy hibiscus say "unauthorized propagation prohibited." Would that apply to sharing among friends?

Do keep in mind that because Hibiscus are so easy to propagate, and because they are pretty commonly sold, that it is possible to get them pretty cheaply at year-end nursery sales.

I got my Kopper King in a 1 qt pot last year for something like 4.95, and it grew and bloomed beautifully the first season after I planted it. Planted it in the fall, and the next season it did great for me. These are fast-growing plants!

CJ

Orange, CA

That is a beauty.

Caroljeanie

Thumbnail by jackieshar

wow!! pretty showy bloom there :))

pamsue

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Which one is that Jackie? It is a wonderful color and the leaves and flower shape looks a lot like my Grandiflora except your flowers are much darker. I may have to have this one too.

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

I have a Kopper King and would like to get seed from it. If I do, I'll be glad to share. How long does it take to grow from seed to, say, 3 ft.? I know it depends on conditions but lets just say under ideal conditions.

This my first year to collect seeds. What I was told to do for my yellow passion vine was to collect the fruits and just put them in an envelope to dry. Will this work for hibiscus? Or should I let the seed pod dry on the plant?

Thanks for any info,
Sherry

sherry...let the seedpods dry on the plant..sometimes they fall off and thus no seeds but if they stay on and dry out then usually there are seeds..

from seed to 3 feet..maybe in a year..sometimes they dont bloom til the second year..but they do grow fast.

id be interested in any of your kopper king seeds if you have enough to share.

pamsue :))

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

Ok, I'll give it a try. I'll post if I get any seeds.
Sherry

bdunn~

Oh, you sold me on this one!

While looking for something else at Home Depot, I found some Kopper Kings, two stems in the pot, each a foot high and budded, for $9.99. I was afraid I'd have to get them from somewhere that they demand a much higher price for a little trade quart pot--and prolly only one plant in there.......

Robert.

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

Does anybody know what the seeds look like - color, size? Mine doesn't have anything I would call a "seed pod" (at least not yet). But in the center of a dried bloom there is something like a filament for lack of a better word - stamen, maybe ?(sorry I have forgotten my plant part names). Anyway, it has many tiny seed looking things attached to it. They are smaller than a pinhead and a beige or tan color. Are these seeds or will there be an actual pod?

Thanks for any info,
Sherry
P.S. I am refering to my "Kopper King".

After the dead blossom dries up and falls off, in the center of thelittle ring of short leaf-like bracts where the bases of the petals were attached, you will see a little "nubbin", the beginnings of the pod that will hold the seeds, assuming it will be forming any.

Robert.

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks! I saw those today. I'll watch to see if they grow into a pod.
Sherry

Robert,
Good find at HD!! As I'm sure you know, next year those 2 stems will multiple and end up with 4-6! I think that was a great price! Have you ever gotten seeds from one of these?

I took a couple of cuttings off the other day and I'm trying to root them so we'll see what happens.

Barbara

Barbara~

This is my first time trying Kopper King, so I guess that's "no". ;-) The foliage is darkening more now that it's getting more sun in my yard. Love that color and awaiting that first blossom.

Robert.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

I'm so glad I found this thread. A couple months ago I got one of these from Gemini Gardens.

First bloom was yesterday and second today. Those things are huge, almost bigger than the plant.

I think I got the Hardy Hibiscus "bug"

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Oh my, Molly, that is just lovely!

My Kopper King has a fat bud showing some color. It won't be long now. Now that I have it full sun, there's lots of new buds forming.

Are these fully hardy? PDN rates them zones 4-9, coming back after dying to the ground in the cooler areas, I suppose, as with other garden hibiscus.

The tag just had a little snowflake symbol and 38 degrees F beside it. I take that to mean that the top growth will stand the cold as long as it's above freezing.

Is this right?

Robert.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

I am under the impression that the Rose Mallows, Hardy Hibiscus will die back and come back in the spring, whether it freezes or not.

My own personal experience is, I moved from zone 10b, had a whole bunch of Blue Satins grown from seed. They all died back to little sticks. Once the last frost was gone, the soil warmed and the days became longer, they all grew back from a 3 inch stick and most are now about 18 to 24 inches tall and starting to bloom. My 36 tropical hibiscus all died and stayed dead.

I would be inclined to believe the plant files description of this plant http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/40919/index.html No doubt they will come back in the spring, hopefully bigger and better every year!!!

Molly
:^))))

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

I'm in zone 7a. Mine came back with no special treatment - just some mulch.
Sherry

Thanks Molly and firstyard~

I was a little worried though, the picture tag was headed "Sunny Annual" as well !

Robert.

Lookie LOOK!

Overnight the 2 and a half inch bud really grew and BANG! I went out this morning and could see this huge bloom like a pink beacon in the side yard.

It's 9 inches across. Not bad for a potbound new purchase.

Thumbnail by raydio

The plant.

Thumbnail by raydio

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.