Ginseng?

Brookline, MA(Zone 6a)

Does anyone have a local source to purchase a couple of ginseng plants for the shade garden? I checked the Plant Scout and Johnny's is out of stock. I am not interested in growing commercially but after reading "Ginseng Dreams" by Kristin Johannsen I thought it would be neat to have a couple or a few. Thanks in advance

Windham, NY(Zone 4b)

cornell cooperative extension greene county ny. bob beyfuss knows everything about ginseng. they have a website but i can't remember the address. just search bob beyfuss. he's great and knows everything. i think they even sell plants.if not he will know where to get them.

Waltham, MA(Zone 6a)

A few weeks ago I was at the "Garden In The Woods" in Framingham, MA which is run by the New England Wild Flower Society (http://www.newfs.org/), and I think they had some ginseng at their nursery shop. You might call ahead to double check, although the place is so much fun that it's a good place to visit anyway. :-)

Brookline, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the input. I checked the Bob Beyfuss web site and he seems geared to commercial growers. The site also struck me as having a political and conservation ethic contrary to my own. That is pretty unusual for a gardening web site but read itr and see for yourself. There seems to be some good information but I'm more than a little reluctant to purchase anything there.
Garden in the Woods on the other hand is fabulous. I bought my American Ginger there a few weeks before reading the ginseng book and hadn't thought about it. I'll check the web site and see what's available. Thanks for the reminder!

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Did anyone figure out a mail order source for ginseng? I have a shady area that could use a couple of plants.

New York, NY(Zone 4a)

I didn't know that Bob Beyfuss had a website. I ran his name on goggle and did not come up with a Bob Beyfuss website. I did come up with Cornell's co-operative extension. Didn't see politics listed there.

Brookline, MA(Zone 6a)

Northstarbear,

I felt idiotic reading your comment and then trying the search again myself. You are right, there is no mention of Bob Beyfuss having a website selling ginseng and nothing about his conservation or political ethics. Fortunately I bookmarked the site from the same search a couple of weeks ago when I was led me to http://www.catskillginseng.com which is for Sylvan Botanicals. In a closer inspection it doesn't appear that Bob Beyfuss has anything to do with this business. Their web site has also changed in the last couple of weeks. One of the comments that bothered me greatly was this: "Check out this site http://www.propertyrightsresearch.org/endangered_species_hit_list.htm to see how they are using "protected species" to claim control over you and your property".

So I apologize to anyone that was led astray by me. But the web is fluid and what is accurate now will probably be inaccurate shortly.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.