Tall Shrubs for Shade?

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

I want to plan a natural privacy fence with shrubs. The area is dappled shade. I need shrubs that will be pretty tall to be effective. I do not want to use Photenias. I have a couple of Photenias in our landscape and they do fine but I don't want anymore. I would love to have shrubs that bloom spring/summer if possible. They will be planted in an area where I can give them plenty of water as needed. I need something than can endure our hot humid summers in zone 8b. What do you recommend? Lin

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

How about clethra barbinervis (the Japanese clethra)? I just ordered one from Lazy S's in hopes of hiding the propane tank, so can't speak from personal growing experience, but it sounds like it will work. Sun to part shade, rated for zones 4 - 8, height 10 -20', fast-growing. White fragrant flowers in summer.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

How about camellias - you can get late bloomers that bloom in the spring. Not fast growing but substantial. One other thing that I've found works is to grow shade loving clematis with the shrubs and you can have flowers much longer.
http://chalkhillclematis.stores.yahoo.net/clematisforshade.html

I try to grow clematis with almost everything to extend bloom season. And it's fun too.

I know it says for 6 hours or longer but I have some viticella cultivars that are happy in only a few hours of sun a day. Don't get etoile rose - which I have and love - unless you are willing to deal with powdery mildew in the fall.

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

I have one Camellia that I love but it has been a very slow grower. It blooms early fall for me. I sure like the idea of having shade loving clematis along with some type of shrubs. Never thought of that. I have some clematis out in my rose garden that is so pretty. Really hadn't thought of some for shade.

Wonder if Tea Olives would do well with dappled shade? It gets so miserably hot here you would think anything would do better with a little shade. I wonder about Daphnes too. ??

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Camellias are slow growers. Abelia is one that you might consider. It does tend to get wide though. Mine grows in fairly dark shade.

Butterfly bush can grow and bloom in the shade - but it's a perennial.

Tea olives sound perfect
http://www.floridata.com/ref/O/osm_frag.cfm
You could grow them with hardy fuchsia at their feet to brighten the garden.

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

I love the Abelia. I had never heard of that shrub. It is beautiful! Thanks so much Doss for mentioning it. My choice may be between Abelia and Tea Olive. Lin

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Glad that you like it. I've never seen Tea Olive. It does sound pretty though.

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Spartacusaby for your suggestion. This is another shrub I had never seen. I planted a tea olive one time to help hide our propane tank too. Same idea as yours. I ended up moving it to another area of the yard. The plant just was not happy in the spot it was planted. If we ever build a house the tank will be moved anyway so in the meantime I may put up some lattice work and grow vines to help hide it.

Lin

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi, I'm new and I have some suggestions for your hedge.
The Abelias get a woody base and can stop producing leaves. These are good: Oak leaf Hydrangeas, Possum Haw Holly, Virginia Sweetspire, Leucothoe, and Chinese Witch Hazel. Hope this gives you some more choices.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Fly_girl, I don't have that problem with my abelias - maybe it's a zone thing. I LOVE the idea of Oak Leaf Hyrdangeas - but aren't the decidious? Maybe it would be worth it. Looks great.
http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/oakleaf.html

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

I love the oakleaf hydrangea but I don't know if my location would have enough sun for them. I went to the link doss gave me and it read like the oakleaf needs some sun. I do think the oakleaf is decidious.
I'm going to take a look at the other choices you named flygirl and see what I think. I've always loved the Possum Haw Holly.

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

I have two kerria [the single type] that have thrived in both dappled and full shade. They are very hardy, bloom spring and fall, and have wonderful lime green branches for winter interest.

novi, MI(Zone 6a)

ok, what about Kalmia. I love K.latifolia.
It is a native plant to eastern US.
DG has it listed as full sun but that isnt true. In fact, too much sun causes foliar burn. It does well with less sun in hotter parts of the country (and vice versa).
It has a beautiful bloom in spring- from a distance it sometimes almost reminds me of a hydrangea in form. There are tons of color variations and cultivars.
It is evergreen with elliptical glossy leaves. I believe it is hardy in your zone.

Here's a link:
http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/k/kallat/kallat3.html
Keep in mind, the map thats listed is reference to its native areas- it is not limited to growing only there.

Please check it out and let me know what you think.
Ness;-)

Plainfield, NJ(Zone 6b)

Daney,
I'm not sure about your growing zone, but do have several suggestions that are hardy here in zone 6b. My latest greatest favorite is Schip Laurel (will send botanical name if you want it). It grows 6-8 feet tall and about 4-5' wide. It had elliptical glossy broad leaves that are evergreen. The natural habit is lovely, but it can also be pruned into a more formal hedge. The white bottle brush type flowers in April are not spectacular, but the fragrance is intoxicating.
Some other choices I have used here and sold to happy customers are viburum, acuba, andromeda, rhodedendrum, leucothoe, mountain and cherry laurels, . Check them out. :-)
Have you considered a clumping bamboo? Many of them do well in the shade, and unlike their running cousins, do not spread aggressively. I think bamboo has an undeserved bad reptutaion when it can be a very useful and multi-dimensional plant.
Good luck with your privacy.
Cleo(me)

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

dancey i am in zone 7 here in texas and i LOVE LOVE LOVE abelia too....i am also shade and these abeilia are no fail....i have several different kind....i will try to some pics ...i started out with cheap small abelia but i am so enjoying watching them bloom and grow....

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Do you want them evergreen?

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Cleo,

Does the Skip Laurel do well in full shade? Most online descriptions show part shade as preferred. I have an area in full shade where I would like some screening shrubs, preferably evergreen, as well. Apparently, the skip has a fast growth rate, a requirement for an effective screen. Some of your other suggestions are slow growers, like andromeda, rhodo, mountain laurel and shade loving bamboo. Thanks.

Victor

Plainfield, NJ(Zone 6b)

Victorgardener,

PRUNUS laurocerasus 'Schipkaensis' Skip Laurel / Schipka Cherrylaurel

Height: 6-10' Zone: 6

Upright, dense form with dark green lustrous leaves and white flowers mid-spring. Great for hedging or privacy screen. Excellent plant for dense shade.

I've seen these shrubs do well in very shady areas. I've got 2 planted on the northwest side of my house right next to the foundation that are completely happy. Even with less than 3 hours of sun a day, and dappled even then, they give me 6-9 inches of new growth per year. I love them. :-)

I don't know about your area, but here in NJ, you can buy a 5-6" skip for about $100 retail. That's instant privacy. I get a great discount because I work at a huge garden center, so I think these lovely shrubs were a great bargain.

Try it, you'll like it.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Thanks, LadyCleo. Sounds great. I think I will try it.

Victor

PS Do the deer like them??

This message was edited Jul 16, 2006 9:19 PM

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

What about Fatsia Japonica? I have my plant in full shade. It has grown quit large.

Thumbnail by weeding
Plainfield, NJ(Zone 6b)

Victor--Sorry I took so long to respond. The deer hanging in my hood do NOT like skips. They haven't touched the skip, english or cherry laurels but do munch and nibble on mountain laurels.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

dancey, tea olive is a good option, but they are slow growers. If you have the time, then this is your plant

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.