Orchid tree

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

I saw somewhere this orchid tree someone made in their greenhouse. I am interested in trying this. If anyone know how to go about this I would be real interested. I have some orchids growing in the greenhouse now but not sure what type of orchids to use for the tree, how to attach them ect. Thanks in advance.
Linda

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Linda,

My approach would be to attach the orchid to the tree with floral wire, then put some moss or something around the roots (not quite sure how you would get that to stick though!) . I would recommend checking with the people on the orchid forum to find out which orchids might be most appropriate. They might be more familiar with this idea too and could point you to pictures/directions.

Fulton, MO

The way I've seen it done is to build the "tree" out of PVC and then cover it with cork or another kind of organic covering. Then attach the orchids.

SB

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I am a former resident of the Bay Area and tried many orchids. Try Epi's.

I had a place up in Lake County and we had manzanita trees. Very hard wood and that would stand up to the greenhouse type conditions you have in mind.

The easiest orchids to grow are epidendrum ibaguense (radicans) and their hybrids. When I went to the orchid shows I would see them mounted on cork by some growers. They flower all year long, make lots of 'pups', grow fast and would do well in your area. I used them as a hedge plant on my roof top garden in SF.

I would tie them in place with some kind of soft natural tie, something that would decompose over time, but, not too quickly. Twine would be good. You could wrap them several times around the roots and it would also blend in, add some insulation for the roots and hold moisture.

Epi need to be fed very lightly in the conditions you are thinking about. A water soluble fertilizer, low nitrogen at 10% strength every other day would help get them started. After they sent out more roots to anchor themselves you might want to cut back on the fertilizer, you don't want them to grow too fast. Local growers would give you a better idea of how to feed them.

I don't have many photos of the Bay Area, but, here is a place I worked on in Napa....

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank you so much for the info. I am excited to try this. I was a little worried about it getting to hot in the greenhouse but I think I can anchor the "tree" in a pot and move it out if necessary.
Thanks again.
Linda

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

Another thought, do you think driftwood would work or would there be a problem with salt ? I would like to stay with a natural material if possible.
Thanks Linda

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Linda,

Depends of how long the wood has been in salt water. If it is smooth its been in a long time, salt won't come out easily. Rough wood works better. Try and nab some from a local tree trimmer, they have all sizes and kinds. Something with small rings will work best, it will be more dense and longer lasting.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.