Mushrooms in Flowerbed

Inglis, FL(Zone 9a)

Over the past couple of weeks I have noticed mushrooms growing in my first year garden. I have mostly Lilies and Daylilies growing in it. Before planting I amended the soil with fresh top soil, peat moss and manure. There are no wood chips in the soil.
I still haven't figured out how to transfer photos from digital camera to computer to this web site so I can't post a pic but these mushrooms are only there in the morning. As the day warms up and the filtered sun hits the flower bed, they seem to disappear. They are an ugly mushroom...a grayish brown color with rather flat tops.
I don't think they will hurt the plants at all but I don't like the way they look and I worry about youngsters in the neighborhood getting into them. Does anyone know what they are and how to get rid of them?
Any advice will be much appreciated.
Marsha.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Mushrooms are simply the fruiting structure of a fungus. In your case, you have a decomposing fungus, really a rather necessary thing. If we didn't have decomposers, we'd be up to our eyeballs in manure! lol Kids have seen mushrooms before and I wouldn't worry about them. If they make you uncomfortable, just go out in the mornig and kick them over.
CJ

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.