Flowerbed photos 4 a continuation...............

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Okay,
Maybe time to start a new thread. I will add a link to the old ones too. Am loving this! Great inspiration and ideas from everyone who has participated in this thread. Thank you! And keep them coming. ;o)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/606119/

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/601362/

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/584483/

And I will start with some updated photos of what my gardens look like now. They have been changing so fast!
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Another view of the garden
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

A little closer view of some of the perennials in the bed.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Another view.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
somewhere, PA

Sherry - gorgeous! I love the trees mixed into the photos.
What's the blue in the back of the second photo?
Tam

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Some Lilies. ;o)
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
somewhere, PA

I posted at the same time you did! Its actually more violet - the one I'm curious
about.

Tam

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Tammy,
lol Yeah, posted at the same time. The flower you asked about is a delphinium. And I also have some blue hydrangeas in the back, but they aren't blooming quite yet.
Sherry

somewhere, PA

I just love your mix of color.

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Japanese Maple and delphinium.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Japanese Maple and Salvia.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Lilies and perennials.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Calla Lily
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

And here's what it looked like on April 11, 2006. Amazing how fast things change! I have more gardens, but will give you all a break for now. LOL
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Wow! What a change in 2 months. That Maple really sets everything off. I love the color combinations. Stunning.

susan

This message was edited Jun 11, 2006 12:29 PM

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

That's a vision, Sherry. The blues of the Weeping Blue Atlas Cedar (?) hovering over all of the things with bluish tones is very appealing to me. And what a transformation in 2 months!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Sherry, what is that purple blooming plant behind the lilies? It sure is pretty. Everything is pretty. Like everyone has said, you have a real eye for color and design.

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

hart,
Thank you! The purple plant is called 'Self Heal'. I planted it last June. From what I am reading, it is a very vigorous grower. I hope it doesn't become a problem. I just liked it when I saw it, so I bought it and stuck it in the garden. It looks lovely and I hope it doesn't try to take over and crowd things out. I'll have to wait and see. I'm hoping it may be something to use in trading here at DG. I haven't done much of that yet since I joined, but think it would be fun. ;o) I will have to go look back and see how big they were last year when I planted them.. I know they're much larger this year.
Sherry

Shenandoah Valley, VA

It sure is pretty. I'd trade you for a piece of it happily.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Sherry, Gorgeous! Just Gorgeous!
Good work.

Wall Township, NJ(Zone 7a)

Wow!! All that rain in Washington really pays off. Everything is soooooo lush and gorgeous!! If it looks like that in June, I can just imagine what it will look like in August!! And you eye for color and dimension is absolutely magnificent!!

Patty

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

mickgene, thank you for posting the link to this I hadn't seen this continuation.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

You're welcome! Since so many of us were still posting on #3 and I'd only been looking at threads I was watching over the weekend, I didn't see this right away either.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

This is my newest rose, Chuckles. It truly is neon pink like it's description says.

Thumbnail by zenpotter
Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Sherry girl, kudos to you!! What a fantastic job you've done :) Really, I only post it when I mean it. Great bed design.

What's the cultivar of salvia you have there? Do you remember the name?

Thanks!
Jacci

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Sherry, absolutely gorgeous!! I've so enjoyed seeing the progession of your garden. Masterfully done!

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

SalmonMe (Jacci),
The salvia is 'Blue Queen Sage', Salvia de Reina Azul. And thank you!

And thanks to everyone! You're all making me feel like I know what I'm doing! LOL I just love flowers and color and try to have some kind of mixture of trees and shrubs in the mix somewhere. Sometimes it works and sometimes I have to move things. ;o) But it's fun....most of the time. LOL

mickgene,
I love my Weeping Blue Atlas Cedar too! When I saw it, I knew I had to have it! I saw a post on here somewhere of a HUGE one that the guys wife wanted removed. And it made mine look tiny in comparison!

This thread is so much fun to watch. Seeing the changes is amazing. Even looking at my own gardens makes me realize how fast the changes take place. Sometimes I don't realize the changes since I see the gardens everyday.

I planted so many things last fall that I am having a ball watching new things pop and burst open. And even the tiny new perennials are so much thicker and better the second year! I can only imagine the third year! So all you who are just starting with new perennials, believe me, what a difference a year makes!
Sherry

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

This is a corner of a perennial bed. Luckily I snapped this a couple of days ago, a heavy shower this morning knocked the Peonies down.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

zenpotter,
Very pretty rose. Is it a knockout rose?

Sarahskeeper,
Very, very pretty combination. I know what you mean about the rain knocking down the peonies. We had a huge (82 mph) wind storm just after my peonies opened. ;o(

One more shot of my back bed that shows a wider shot of the bed. Hope you're not getting tired of my gardens. But they are so much fun to share. ;o)
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Get tired of seeing a beautiful garden as it progresses? Surely you jest, lol. It's a joy and a pleasure, and thank you for sharing!

Wall Township, NJ(Zone 7a)

Wow, Sherry!! How can anybody get tired of looking at such a beautiful garden? It is absolutely gorgeous!!

Patty

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Sherry, You have a spectacular garden there.
Everyones flowers are lovely.
I have a big project under way also. A new house is going up next door to me, the surveyor gave me an extra 6 feet of frontage. The contractor dug a trench along the edge of the street to connect the sewer line.
New top soil has now been delivered and spread (thinly) so I can get to work. I spent 3 hours today digging, removing rocks and roots. I think I'm half way done preparing the new perennial bed.
Here is a pic taken in April as a 'Before' pic. I've outlined the area to be worked.
It's a sunny spot with a 15 year old Rose of Sharon and ancient white Lilac as anchors.
There were overgrown trees and brush on that lot that made it almost impossible to maintain that small corner. Roots invaded and shade restricted growth. That's all changed so I think it will work now.
It will be filled with Heuchera, Iris, Liatris and as many Tetraploid Day lilies I can fit in there. Every thing is in pots, waiting. All my own seedlings, cuttings etc.
I'm tired just describing it, LOL.
Andy P

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Sherry, you have lovely gardens!!

Andy, where's your May and June pictures?

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Trunnels, You're funny.
There was no change until yesterday when I started the 3 year pruning process on the Lilac. Today I started digging, I had to stop, it got too hot for this old man, it's now 87°.
I didn't want to start anything until the heavy landscaping was done next door. I also needed the extra top soil. I let the contractor use my water while building and I get a bit of extra soil.
Andy P

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

One more first for me. This is 'Coral Sunset'. I am just loving these lilies I planted in November, if I remember correctly.

Andy,
That looks like a lot of fun to start a new garden space. It sounds like it will be lovely. What kind of daylilies are you going to plant? I just really got into lilies and daylilies this past fall. It is so much fun seeing what 'pops' up! Have fun! Keep the progress reports coming. ;o)

And thanks everyone for all the kind words and encouragement. I'll have to post some of my other gardens soon.

Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Sherry, This batch of Day Lilies are my own seed. I hand pollinate my Tetraploids.
Tetras are beefier than Diploids (regular) but do not readily make seed.
Here is a pic from last year of one, I have a dozen, all different.
Andy P

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Andy,
Beautiful! Just beautiful! I don't know that much about collecting seeds or any of that type thing. Does that mean these are your own creation since you pollinated them? I'm not even sure how a person would go about a thing like that. But yours are beauties, thats for sure. ;o) Your new garden area will be lovely. Remember to post progress reports. ;o)
Sherry

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

The pic is of a plant from seed I bought. They were quite expensive at 35 cents each, 8 years ago. I got 2 packs of ten that gave me 12 plants.
I started hand pollinating them 3 years ago, the plants for this bed are one year old, not ready to flower until next season. I can't wait to see what I will get. The whole neighborhood will see, this bed is by the street.
Hand polinatting is easy. Take a polen laden pestil and brush it against the stamen of another flower. I find doing this in the morning works best, seeing the flower only lasts for one day.
Fun.
Here is another.
Andy P

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I thought you would enjoy seeing my two gardens taken one day apart on June 9 and 10th, but 4 hours by car apart. It keeps us busy. They are kind of like children, very different yet both a joy (most of the time) The first one is from Southern Vt. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Here is Nantucket one day earlier. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.