New?? Shooting Star Hydrangea

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

I found this at a local market and the tag says it's new. I was wondering if anyone else has this hydrangea and how it's doing for them?? I love the way the *stars* come off the bloom head, the stars start out pale green and then go to white.....Lauri

Thumbnail by lauriwilson

Here is a close up of it...

Thumbnail by lauriwilson

do a search on this forum. someone posted about this hydrangea last year. That's a beauty!

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I've never seen or heard about this. Beautiful!

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

Way to go Lauri..It is Beautiful..I have never seen them before either...Did you just buy that one??

Hey Demi, yep I was shopping and it jumped right into my cart...:-). So I had to bring it home....Lauri

You better watch out..Steve's gonna ground you from the nursery once again...Lol..I have a good idea for you don't use a cart and NOTHING will jump in it..!! :^)))

LOL I have to have something to put my purse in...:-)....Lauri

If your just going looking no need for a purse...

yes I must carry my ID...:-)...me

Haha you can carry that in your pocket...

this is a Japanese cultivar that is sold under the name 'fireworks' or 'Hanabi'. Take a look at this link:
http://www.prideofplaceplants.com/flowering_shrubs/hydrangea_hanabi.html

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

I will be ordering several of these when I get moved up to Ohio next year....I think it is absolutely stunning...

Thomson, GA

Ooooh, that's pretty! I see you are in zone 9, so I'm guessing it would do okay in 7???

guardians, the tag on mine says zones 5-10 so I would say yep it will. I wish I had gotten another I just love this one....Lauri

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Guardians....

Im guessing it would be a whole lot happier in zone 6b where Im going, than it will be down here in this blazing sun and heat....My Gram, who lived up there, had a yard full of hygrangeas...I have a tiny cutting Im diligently trying to keep alive in a large pot on my screen porch until I get it moved...

Happy 4th Everyone.

Dusty

Savannah, GA(Zone 8b)

The only time I have seen this plant was in the florist area of the grocery store. It was beautiful and I would love to have bought it, however, it was very expensive and since it was unusual, I didn't know if it was a variety that would grow outdoors.
Later, I was wishing that I had it.

Raleigh, NC

I've seem plants that look like this one listed under four names--hanabi, fireworks, fuji waterfall and shooting star. Wonder if they are one and the same? Has anyone discovered the answer to this? Has anyone grown any of these for long enough to know how they do?
ADDENDUM:
Ok, I just looked at the Nantucket Hydrangea Nursery site, and they list ' Hayes Starburst' and 'Fuji Waterfall' as separate cultivars. They say that 'Hanabi' and 'Fireworks' are one and the same cultivar (two names for the same plant). Sooo....now wondering if 'Shooting Star' is its own separate cultivar? Would really like to buy one, but not sure if what I'm buying will be the real deal, as the nurseries seem confused.

This message was edited Jul 15, 2006 2:00 PM

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

I think the name "Shooting Stars" is tradmarked. What I think this means is that you can propagate this but cannot use the name. When its got a patent, you cannot propagate. Thats probably why the differant names for the same plant. I also found this at a local Fred Meyers. It was marked from $18.95 to $7.50 so I got 4 of them. They were very floppy and had stakes in them holding up the blooms. I put one in the ground and pulled out the stakes. The stems with the blooms are still floppy and laying on the ground but the new stems are strong and growing up tall. They have buds coming. Maybe the flower heads are so heavy they make them flop. But I am loving this plant!!
Rebecca

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

That's gorgeous!! I WANT IT!!

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

And my label stated
Zones 7-9
For best results in zone 7 cover dormant cane in the winter with a blanket.
Also said do not fertilize during bloom, after bloom use acidic fertilizer.
Soil: Peatmoss, topsoil (2:1 ratio)

I am in Oregon zone 9 and we have acidic soil, so I just popped mine in the ground. So far so good. I am going to do cuttings, I like this plant more each day.
Rebecca

Raleigh, NC

Thanks for that info rebeccanne--Yes, a nursery site I saw after I wrote that said that 'Shooting Star' is simply the florist version of either (and I can't remember which one..) Fuji Waterfall or Hayes Starburst. I have to find the site again and re-remember which one. Either way, if they survive, you got a great deal! And got to enjoy the original bloom, too!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I had a Shooting Star that I planted in the ground at my old house and it did fine--the blooms the first year were a little less perfect than it was when I bought it, but I think given time to establish it'll be very nice. I bought another one this year for my new house and plan to put it in the ground as well when I do my garden this fall.

Raleigh, NC

Ok, did some more research (see my thoughts in this thread from July 15th and 25th). According to Wilkerson Mill Gardens website, 'Hanabi' is the same as 'Shooting Star' i.e. 'Shooting star' is just the trademarked name under which Hanabi is sold as a forced bloom floral plant. It also says that 'Fuji Waterfall,' a separate cultivar, is often misnamed as 'Hanabi (also known as 'Fireworks'). Confused yet? Yea, me too, so lets not even bring up the whole question of why Hayes Starburst looks exactly like 'Hanabi/Shooting Star' which looks an awful lot like 'Fuji Waterfall.'.....I'd give this up, but I really want one...will the REAL 'Shooting Star' please stand up??!!

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

You sure didn't help the issue. The only thing we are sure of is this is one very cool hydrangea. I am hoping to get some cuttings going, if so I will post and you guys can send me some nice things in return. Its growing pretty fast, only in the ground for 2 days and lots of new growth. I don't have many hydrangeas, but starting to really like them.
Rebecca

Raleigh, NC

Ok, lets just consider this a dead issue for awhile, as I emailed a few nurseries specializing in hydrangeas, and nobody knows. Everybody thinks the name they use is the "right" one...I would LOVE a cutting! Please let me know in the future if you have any--Thanks!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Personally I think they all probably look similar enough that for the average gardener it wouldn't matter specifically which one they are anyway

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

I will try and get some going soon, its so warm now I hate to try. Maybe in a week or so. I will probably be trading for rooting hydrangea cuttings so if any of you have a real nice one, get the cuttings going!!
Rebecca

Hey Lauri are you gonna try to get me and Rosie a start from that beauty???

Fair Haven, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi all,
If it's Hanabi, it is hardy here in zone 6a. I have been growing Hanabi for 4 years. It's a late bloomer, but a strong and healthy grower. The new growth stems arre not floppy.
Mine is in almost full shade, good drainage, and plenty of moisture. The blooms are incredible. There is a site with good information about hanabi and other hydrangeas that were introduced from Japan. I'll post it as soon as I 'dig up' the link.

Demi, yep I'm going to try to get you both starts of it...:-)..Lauri

Thanks... ;o)))

Raleigh, NC

*****HERE'S THE END OF THIS THREAD******* THANKS TO GENE GRIFFITH AT WILKERSON GARDENS FOR THE ANSWER!!!****

Summary of the email I received: ** 'Shooting Star' is Hydrangea macrophylla 'Hanabi.' ** A tissue culture firm introduced 'Hanabi' as 'Fuji Waterfall' which is really wrong since there is also a distinctly separate plant that is the serrata form Hydrangea serrata 'Fuji-no-taki' (which translated means Fuji Waterfall). Terra Nova also has H. m. Hanabi--sometimes called 'Sumida-no-hanabi' (which means fireworks over hanabi), hence the confusion as to the 'Fireworks' name. *** 'Hayes Starburst' is a completely separate plant, of the native species Hydrangea Arborescens, found in Alabama by Hayes Jackson.

BOTTOM LINE, IF YOU BUY A SHOOTING STAR, HANABI, FIREWORKS, OR FUJI WATERFALL (but not H. serrata 'Fuji Waterfall', only H. macrophylla)........ITS ALL THE SAME. Or so I will believe until I hear different.........!!!!!!!

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

Thank you! That helps so much. And ends lots of confusion. I will call mine Hanabi Shooting Stars. Because I like the shooting stars name. And its good to know that it is hardy to zone 6, that makes it so lots more people can actually grow it.
Thanks again for clearing that up, end of thread!!
Rebecca

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.