Aquilegia isn't what I thought it was!

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I bought some seeds last year of a long spurred yellow aquilegia. Imagine my disappointment when I grew these!

Thumbnail by Galanthophile

They are pretty enough...

All is not lost - I have at least 1 true plant!

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Well Nora Barlow isn't a bad replacement, but I'm glad you got the long spurred yellow as well. It's charming.

Gorgeous photos!

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Both are lovely.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I really like the pink one better, but they are both lovely. Funny how seeds surprise us sometimes.

susan

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Galanthophile, I can imagine your disappointment. Those are pretty, but not the same. I'm just getting started with planting from seed, and I think that if I waited and waited for a certain flower and it wasn't it, I might get a bit discouraged. Glad you got one of what you wanted.

Why should there be such a discrepancy from seeds you purchased? To me, it's like buying pepper seeds and getting tomatoes!

Exactly! I was glad I only had to wait one season - imagine if it was something that took 3 or 4 years to flower!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Personally, I like the 'wrong' ones much better. Way more interesting.

Victor

comebychance, NL(Zone 5b)

i agree with victor,beautyful columbine and i wouldn't over look the yellow one as will.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Ahh the pleasure of seed propagation. Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what you will get. Much like my seed collection this year I will never know what to expect. Sometimes the little bug gets under the netting to make surprises at the nursery. Todays photos of the columbines.

Thumbnail by Soferdig

gees what a beautyful pic ,soferdig

here a pic of the water tower in my
town

This message was edited Jun 11, 2006 4:18 PM

Thumbnail by digging_dirt
Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

That goes to show - personal preferences are so different. I like the alien shaped columbines best. The barlows are ok, but seem similar to many other flowers (being as inexperienced as I am.)

Soferdig - I hope someday my newly planted columbines will look so nice. I just put them in yesterday and a few minutes ago discovered the latest rescue pups removing them for me (in my DFZ - dog free zone- no less)! I didn't close the gate securely enough - all my fault.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Well, I know you must be disappointed when you wanted the yellow specifically and put in the time and effort to grow it. Not that the Nora Barlow isn't beautiful. To me, it's not really a colombine without the spur. But I don't think I ever met a flower in bloom that I didn't like. I'm usually just happy if a plant lives, and if it actually blooms that's a big bonus.

Have you complained to the seed company?

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

digging, That is soo cool!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I've grown the Nora Barlow Mix for several years now.
I find it a far better and more dependable plant.

Not that I don't like the Columbine.
It's just they appear to appear wherever they want too.
In some cases whenever they want to also.
I've had years that the Columbines seem to skip.
Then viola up they come 25' away from where they are suppose to be. lol

Ric

I got the yellow seeds from Ebay 3 years ago so not worth it now!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.