Lamium galeobdolen Herman's Pride

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I thoroughly recommend this lamium for dry shade, it thrives under my camellias and doesn't spread like some of the other lamiums.

Thumbnail by Galanthophile
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have never tried that one..but wish I had it INSTEAD of the thug I do have. Lamiastrum. It's worse than ivy. And to think I actually bought and planted it years ago!

Thumbnail by levilyla

Oh my goodness! Now that is what I call a thug!

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Galanthophile,
I'll second that! I have some growing under pines in deep shade in sandy soil and is doing very well. The clump has grown nicely and is a bright spot in a dark area.

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

I bought something that looks similar but haven't planted it yet. The tag says "Archangel Lamiastrum 'Silver Spangled'"....I loved the silvery look of it. Is mine similarly well behaved, or one to watch out for?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Can you take a picture of it? If it is called yellow archangel (lamiastrum) then you better beware. "Silver Spangles" indeed!

Oh dear. While it doesn't say "yellow" anywhere on the tag, I'm thinking that must be it. I'll take a picture later today. If not in the garden, can I just use it in a container? It is pretty, to my untrained eye.

Here, I found the "silver spangled" on this website...should I worry about planting it as groundcover in a smallish raised bed with some hostas and ferns?

http://www.waltersgardens.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantDetail&plant_id=1262

Here is the picture of my plant, and a pic of the tag. You've got me afraid to plant it now! lol

Thumbnail by Noreaster
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

That is NOT the one I have. Not to worry.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Galanthophile,can you post this in the plantfiles? I am hoping that someone will add to the post and name where it can be bought in U.S.

Bettendorf, IA

I was just looking at the preplanned shade garden from bluestone perennials and they have the Herman's Pride as part of that so maybe you can buy it there individually??

Of course I will.

Just checked and this plant is already listed in Plantfiles and shows 9 vendors have it for sale. It's under Hermann's Pride.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have the straight Lamiastrum galeobdolon...what is the difference between Lamium and Lamiastrum? I am wondering (since this seems to be Lamiastrum) if it will indeed be a runner. It has a leaf shape like Heman's Pride..but now I am wondering if it just spreads or runs.

Bettendorf, IA

I just bought 5 gallon sized plants sthat say "Lamiastrum Hermann's Pride". I renmembered the Hermann's Pride part but am not a little worried since they say "lamiustrum". Think it is the same thing?

According to my book lamium and lamiustrum are the same thing.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

hmmm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.