Rooting cuttings of favorite shrubs

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Is there an easy way to do this? Not just the theory, but someone who has done this regularly?
I have had good success layering various shrubs - can most shrubs be layered if you can bend a branch down far enough? Viburnums, spirea and weigela are three that I want to propagate. Oh, and one delicious smelling light yellow green mock orange...And how about junipers too, while your at it?

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Layering always is a better bet, if you have a low branch and need only a few plants. Most of those species you mentioned can be rooted easily from firm softwood cuttings, taken about now here in the Midwest. Take tip cuttings a few inches long, pull off the lower leaves, clip off any soft tip growth, dip the bases in any rooting compound, stick them in a moist, aerated sterile medium like sand or vermiculite, mist or cover them, keep them out of direct sunlight, and watch for new growth after a few weeks. Most junipers can be rooted too, but that's best done in a greenhouse in late fall or winter. One of our resident coniferites should be able to tell you the details about that better than I can.

Guy S.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.