Japanese Beetles

Huntsville, AL

I have a tall, old Japanese Maple, that in past years has been absolutely beautiful. However, this year I have noticed it has fewer leaves and those leaves are lacy. While watering my rose bushes yesterday, I came across two japanese beetles-the first I have seen in my yard. I have searched japanese beetles on this site and have been steered away from using traps. I was wondering what other people have used on their trees. I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Donna

Milford, DE

Use orthene

Dave

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I use seven and have had success with it last year... you have to re- treat after rain and about once every week or two ...the spray doesn't leave them too white ... don't know about othene but i'd trust his advise since he's a grower... I know seven is farely safe compared to most pesticides....David

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

While flipping through an issue of Southern Living at the doc's on Friday, I found a suggestion to use Neem oil to discourage Japanese beetles. I may try that, but if it doesn't work well and if we end up getting our usual severe infestation, I'm breaking out the Sevin. I've found that one of their very favorite foods is 'Spicy Globe Basil', so now I grow some every year so I can use it as a trap crop near the veggies... I spray the basil with Sevin, and dead beetles pile up around the plants like you wouldn't believe. I do NOT eat any of this basil after it has been sprayed, however!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.