iris to grow

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

I would like to introduce myself to this discussion group, I am relativly new to the States and Live in TX, could any body advise on types of Iris that would do more than grow great leaves. Where I am in San Antonio, we don't frost very much and I have noticed very limited variety here, plain old white blue, and a perfumed but unremarkable burgundy, bearded. Regards Rita.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Welcome Rita, -

Do you have some treats in store!

You can grow all the Tall Bearded iris and the Louisianas. Standard dwarf beardeds and some of the other intermediate iris don't do very well, although I've had luck with a few intermediates.

Iris City Gardens has told me that Siberians and Japanese Iris do better in lower zones but I've heard from people here that they grow them.

Most of us here get our iris from mail order specialty iris houses.

You might want to start at Snowpeak for tall bearded iris. Iris are planted in July and August so if you are wanting to order for this season you should order now.
http://www.snowpeakiris.com/

Iris City Gardens is where I order Louisianas. They are shipped a little later.
http://www.iriscitygardens.com/

There are a lot of good places to order from but when you are just beginning sometimes it can be overwhelming.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Doss, I had Louisianas back home, that was Brisbane Aust nearly 3 years ago, I converted the swiming pool into a lilly pond, lots of room for plants, no more chlorine and the end to cleaning, yeah. So now I am starting anew we bought an old inner city home a year ago and I have been trying to work my body into the dust bringing the soil back to life. Lots of the dreaded concrete, so I have been lugging manure, making compost and intrducing microbes to the soil, the worm population has exploded, so I think me and me little piece of US soil are feeling better about each other

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Rita,

ICG (Iris City Gardens) has lots of Heather & Bernard Pryor's LAs.
Inanda

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you - but much of it has been done. In fact, it sounds as if you are well on your way. This was my first year with LA's and I really loved them although I expected them to bloom after the TBI. I must admit that I have quite a few late blooming TBI though.

You should post photos if you can so that we can all see what you are up to. Do you have a place for a small pond where you are?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Cant live without water, the ponds the first thing to go in, then I start trudging the spillways and storm drains looking for local weeds to grow. I will try the photo thing Its one of those skills this technaphobe has been avoiding. Not so much the taking of photos but all the messing about inbetween to get onto the big screen. My secret is out, now I feel better, thoug I do have one of my daughters here for a few days and will ask for instruction, Rita.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Inanda, and Doss, I will start pooring over the websites.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Not such a bad secret - we just love to feed our curiousity. :-) If your daughter can help you then that's great! If not then we'll just have to imagine your garden.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Who is it that grows iris in Lubbock Tx? Very ice person but Ican't remember name of her farm to find her website??

Inanda

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Inanda, are you thinking of Malevil Gardens? Vernon and Dana Brown. I ordered from them last year and received very nice rhizomes and bonuses.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

They are good and I've bought from them happily. But their site is missing a lot of photos. Makes it kind of frustrating for someone who doesn't want to do a lot of research.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Yep. Good thinking Pardelinum.

Dana is a great person. In Lubbock, home of Buddy Holly

http://www.malevil-iris.com

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.