Are peafowl hens as noisy as the cocks?

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I have more or less agreed to purchase 3 1 year old hens for a very low price. But then I started thinking about the noise that Moses(our adult peacock)makes and all the noise that the guinea hen makes. I'm sure the family will really object if the new peahens are as loud and vocal as Moses and Mrs. G. I need to know so I can back out of this agreement if there are noise problems ahead.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

My hens are not as annoying as the males
The males screach in the night
the hens dont

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Thank you. What about in the daytime? If our son and his wife have another baby in the next 10 years or so I don't want it to be awakened by some bird yelping at the top of its lungs half the time in the daytime either. Or is someone takes a night job and needs to be able to sleep during the day. The guinea hen has been a real issue on these matters. Were it not for tick control she would no longer be here.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

No they don't seem bad during the day,but the guineas and chickens,geese.....they make me nuts during the day
then the peacocks start in.......
plus they use the roof over my bedroom for a spring board to get up in the tree they roost in at night

I work nights
I go to bed around 2pm till about 8:30
The noise in the summer was killing me

Till I got a airconditioner
Even if its not real hot, I'll run it ,cause the hum drowns out the outside noise

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Thanks for all the information. I'll go ahead and get the hens and give the guinea hen to a friend who wants her to be a mate for her male. We'll have to put a lid on the pen the hens & Moses will share until I'm sure they are use to their new home and roosting in the bird house at night. Our bird house is divided so they can have part of it all to themselves.

Our chickens, ducks, and 2 geese are not that noisy. Of course the pigeons don't make enough noise to bother anyone. We only have 3 roosters, all banties. I call one of them AC for alarm clock. We just got the other 2 last week.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.