Epsom Salts

Key West, FL(Zone 11)

Well, Im just delighted with my first ever buld growing experiment and I know I was warned about leaf burn on the stuttgart but I couldn't resist the variegation. Even though they have no direct light IVE GOT BURN.

Tomorrow I plan on repotting these ones because the soil mix is not draining well , I got some EPSOM SALTS because its supposed to reduce the burn but whats the best way to apply it, mix it in the potting soil or dilute it and pour over and how much.

Thanks

Thumbnail by celt33040
East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

celt, I would take yours with the little burns any day. look at mine, isn't it pitiful? I'm wondering if it's even a stuttgart. I planted mine in part shade and crispy edges has not been a problem. however, looks like I have bigger problems.

pls post your progress after applying ES

Thumbnail by vossner
Key West, FL(Zone 11)

I ordered two on ebay, and i sent one back because it didnt have variegation, although it did have a couple of faint yellow stripes , I dont think it was stuttgart because it grew at twice the rate of the variegated one.

Is this the work of dreaded virus? .........

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Vossner,
I have serious doubts your canna is Stuttgart.

The best I have found to keep Stuttgart from burning in the hot months is lots of water.

This photo is how good Stuttgart should look.
Alice

Thumbnail by Abutilon
Key West, FL(Zone 11)

Just amazing Alice
I guess Im a variegation addict,
Hopefully I can get mine to look like that, I think the burn has more to do with the high temps rather than just exposure to light, mine get no direct light but the temps are in 80s day and night and still have durn damage. So much water that I have mushrooms.
Thats why Im repotting them, for more drainage.

Neil

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

celt, i just got finished reading an excellent thread on the brug fourm about epsom salt. they talk about how much and how to apply; and it seems you can do it many different ways: either by sprinkling it on the ground & watering, or mixing a handful in a gallon jug to water with or spraying the foliage. you might want to check it out.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/515665

hope this helps. i'm trying it tomorrow!

darn it! I was afraid it that. have been suspecting so for a while.

Key West, FL(Zone 11)

Thanks Ashley,
I didn't get to it today because of rain ( at last) but ill try it tomorrow mixed with some fresh rain water.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Voss....definitely not a Stuttgart. Sorry.....
Celt, Mine have burns even though they are being grown in full shade....but they're still very attractive (I don't really care if they ever bloom) I still think they're worth it even with the slight burns.

Key West, FL(Zone 11)

Mary ,
For me it's all about the variegation. Theres so much green in tropical plants, I like the lightness of them. I just saw a variegated haleconia on line.............. it never stops :)

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

I am on that thread, too ... lol
Epsom salts helps keep the brugs green and growing here.
Our water is quite hard.
Alice

Key West, FL(Zone 11)

Alice whats you prefered method of application?

Do all plants like it?

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

Epsom salts
3 tablespoons to 1 gal water , let set overnight, pour over soil

about 1 pint per plant once a week

Key West, FL(Zone 11)

why do you let set it set ? is there a surplus at the bottom when it sets?

make sure it dissolves...no not usually , I shake it up a bit each time I take it from the gallon.it usually dissolves pretty good

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Celt,
My "Stuttgarts" are twice as big as yours, but they look like Vossner's! I got mine online from eflowergardens.com. I'm going to contact them to let them know I do NOT have the 10 Stuttgarts I ordered!

I thought I had leaf roller and have sprayed them with Seven liquid. It's helping, but I'm understanding now from your pics that if they Were Stuttgart's they should have had the white varigation long ago...

Thanks for these posts people. They really help us newbies along!

gymgirl, you have dmail

Key West, FL(Zone 11)

I am so fed up with BULBMART(6262) on ebay,

They sent me the wrong bulb then ignored me for a while,
They wanted the bulb back,
I packed it up they would not arrange for ups pick up.
They ignored me some more.
I enclosed a letter requesting that they resend me the item as ordered and another to make up for the return shipping costs.
They just issued me a refund that I did not want.
I don't want the money back
I want my wasted time back.

Im going to send them a copy of this post, so they see what bad service does for business.
Meanwhile the other one has two shoots, lots of variegation growing well, i repotted it and gave it epsom salts.;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.