Which looks better for the front of house???

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi everyone :)

This is my first year planting more than 2-3 containers out front and now that the containers are really starting to get going, I'm wondering if I should have planted less variety in each pot. I planted them like patio containers that will be viewed close-up. They are all at the front of my house, though, and look somewhat uneventful because the individual plants get "lost" from a distance.

Do y'all think that for containers that will be viewed from a distance it's better to plant one or two kinds of plants per container and just group containers together? I'm not sure if I'm being clear, so I'll give an example. Let's say I have a large container planted with artemesia, lantana, dwarf coneflower, and Moonbeam coreopsis. From a distance none of the plants are particularly striking and everything sort of blurs together. Now, would it look better if I had the artemesia and dwarf coneflower (the taller plants) in the large pot and planted two other smaller pots to group with the larger pot? With the lantana in one pot and the coreopsis in another? It seems like this would mirror my garden in a more coherent way, too, for the front of the house. It seems like it would look better from the street this way.

Any thoughts???

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

agreed....especially since the lantana will spill over and should make a nice backdrop for the lower plants

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.