Tomato concerns

Valdosta, GA(Zone 8b)

This has been my best year with tomatoes ever. Of course, it's only the second time I've tried to grow anything...so that's not saying much.

That being said, I've been browsing DG for information on tomatoes and container plants in general and am concerned b/c I can't find dolomite anywhere locally. Almost every tomato thread mentions this needed additive, but no one seems to carry it. Right now I'm using Miracle Grow all purpose fertilizer...but is this enough? I've noticed that a few flowers are dying off without leaving a fruit behind and my plant isn't as fruitful as it's supposed to be. It's a bush cherry variety...something 100 I think...but I've only got about 7-8 fruit right now. Can someone take a look and tell me if all is well?

Thumbnail by kimcheebaby
Valdosta, GA(Zone 8b)

Here is a closeup of what little fruit I have. You can see the two stems next to the fruit where other fruit should have been but the blossoms just shriveled up and dropped off.

This message was edited Jun 9, 2006 6:27 PM

Thumbnail by kimcheebaby
Batesville, AR

It looks pretty healthy to us. You should be fine without the lime. When the blossoms fall off like that it is usually because of poor pollination - giving the plant a good shake every day or two might help with that a little.

It looks good though - you'll be eating those sweet little jewels before you know it.

Good luck

Valdosta, GA(Zone 8b)

Thank you. I feel much better now. I get so worried b/c I'm new at gardening and don't really know what's normal and what's not.

As for eating them...well...that's only if I can keep the neighbor's kids away. ;-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.