Hi All, Question about propagating my existing plants?

Desert Hills, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and to Canna's but it has been very nice to read most of your posts. Just so you know I live just North of Phoenix AZ so no stutgarts for me. We average 110 from June to August and start hitting the 100's at the end of April to the begining of May. But we're desert so our night tempuratures don't really start warming up until mid April. Anyway, I bought some nice Australia canna's from HD and they've been blooming like crazy. Well I was wondering how a Canna in general can be propagated and also how you should prepare either blooming stems or leaved stems for arrangement. Also, I heard you should cut the stems that are done blooming all the way to the ground. So far I have only cut about 1-2 feet off of the stem and left the rest of the stem with all the leafs. If I wait long enough the canna will start a new bloom growth from the same stem that originally bloomed. (it branches) I assume that's normal. Anyway, some help for the newbie will be all appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Gina
Desert Hills AZ

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

wellcome to the form shoe box if you want to get seeds from your canna dont cut back the steams the seeds will be in those little green pods after they are ripe cannas are propagated by seeds or by root divison regards paul

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Hi Gina,

Canna flower stems will not rebloom. Cut them to the ground, the reason being your canna won't have to use precious energy growing something that has already done its duty. As phicks said, if yours is a seed producer, don't cut them back if you want seeds .. they will make little green spikey capsules that will eventually turn brown and have brownish black shiny seeds in them. Canna are very easy to grow from seed and interesting too because they are not all true to the parent .. you can get some really interesting varieties .. Cannas spread underground by rhizomes. You can divide your canna clumps if you like by digging up and separating the individual rhizomes or cut pieces off of large ones with eyes on it and plant again.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.