Our own horses

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

So, gang,,, what's going on with your rides? We've talked a lot about babies, first horses, and rescue horses that nobody here owns. Let's bring it on back to the barn...

At my place, Chewie enjoyed a week and a half off due to heavy rain, and then the onslaught of killer-Texas sized mosquitoes. We're back to riding, w/t/a little canter, no jumping since the competition. Next training lesson is this Sunday. On the 17th through July 1, he'll be at the trainers where I take lessons, getting a crash-horse boot camp lesson on canter departures and beginning to real jumping.

In the pasture, he's visited almost 24 hours a day by whitetail deer, who think they are his pasture-mates. They eat leftover grain sometimes, drink from the water trough, and munch on grasses with him. One momma doe just had two fawns, and they're All over the pasture, acting like goofy nuts. Chewie seems unamused....

A few times lately, rope halter on, tied to an old fence support, he'll pull back fiercely, for what seems like no reason. I can't get the rope loose quick enough to "release the tense in the line", so I end up just pulling on the rope & trying to calm him. I haven't been able to pinpoint what's doing it, unless it's just a mosquito or two that bite in the wrong spot. If I don't tie him, I can tack mostly (can't saddle him), but it takes three times as long because he always ends up grazing, eating grass, and wandering around, not staying still. Any suggestions? (A thorough vet check-up can't happen right now - I've got one horribly sick Schnauzer, and while I would normally pay as much as necessary for precautionary visists for Chewie, the next few months will be restricted to emergencies - see the "Pets" forum for the details.)

What's going on at your barns? Babies doing well? Big riding adventures? Goofy pasture events?

This thread has 9 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!