Will the ribbon snake come back?!

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I was taking my dog out for potty and I came upon a ribbon snake on the walkway that goes from our porch. I think it was drawn to the insects that are drawn out from the porch lights.

Anyways, I scared it and it got the heck out of there before I could do anything but look. Do you think it'll come back? I would love to see it again and would love even more if it made that space it's hunting ground. I don't get to see snakes very often.

Potsdam, NY(Zone 4a)

Micha, I saw my first ones last summer here in the yard, and they are still here. One came out of the rocks by the pond a few weeks ago. If it likes it where it is, it should stay pretty much put. Probably depends on the habitat and the food supply. Good luck. BAM

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I kept checking last night for it but it didn't come back- yet! They're supossed to like slugs and I've got a steady supply of those!

It will probably come back. Lucky you.

Potsdam, NY(Zone 4a)

Well, if they like slugs, no wonder they stay here! I seem to have more than my share of slugs here, with that swampy area behind my yard. Pretty moist conditions back there, so lots of slugs. The one I was watching stuck its head under a large rock I had propped up, and when it came back out, it was chomping on something. I wondered at the time if it had found a nice fat slug to eat. Good deal! BAM

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

It hasn't come back yet! Why won't it hurry up?! Lol. I'm going to put a rock down for it and see what that'll bring.

I have a small dug out burrow under the walkway, perfect cool and moist conditions for a snake... But also for a mouse or frog. Can anyone i.d. a burrow?

Look around in the general area of where you originally saw them. They like to come out and soak up the rays.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

He probably is close by the food source. I have one that likes to take swim in the pond, he's about 18 inches long, a real cutie. The goldfish like to follow him around. It's pretty entertaining.

Potsdam, NY(Zone 4a)

I saw one come out about a month ago, but have not seen it since. It probably is still here. Time will tell. Would love to see a nice fat toad out there, though! They always startle me, because I never see them until I am right upon them! Their camoflage is simply too good! LOL! BAM

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I love those huge american toads! We used to have a huge female and the next year there were two small babies.

Now I don't see any at all. Snake food probably.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.