little white daisies in my lawn

Palmyra, VA

Hi! Strange as it sounds, these little white yellow-eyed daisies popping up in my compacted clay 'builders grass' lawn look lovely from the street. I'm not keen on reseeding or sodding the lawn (did that a year ago & a gully-washer undid it the first day) so...am wondering if anyone has tried to culture these as a groundcover. They seem to thrive on neglect and with current water rates here I'm beginning to think pretty weeds can be good! Thanks in advance.

Windham, NY(Zone 4b)

i have thyme all over my lawn, and love it. my neighbor is a crazy lawn guy and tells me i need to put out weedkiller. i tell him if i killed all the weeds i would just have dirt. he thinks i have spend too much time with my flowers and the pollen is causing brain damage.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I replaced the lawn between my curb and sidewalk with creeping thyme. I added some stepping stones at about the spots people would walk across the lawn when they get out of their cars. It is thriving and puts on the most beautiful display of purple flowers in June.
artsterncm - could that be chamomile in you lawn?

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

I haven't tried to culture wild daisies myself, but they grow all over the place here in heavy clay, so they seem to be pretty hardy. BTW my "lawn" is a mixture of dandelions, wild strawberry vine, violets, clover, crabgrass, and the occasional patch of fescue. It's green, it mows well, it survives summers and winters here, and I have little flowers popping up all spring. I like to have a little lawn mainly for my son to run around in, but IMHO a lawn that takes more work than a once-every-10-days mowing is overkill. I don't use fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides, or water, and it does just fine here. If it can't survive on its own--it's out of luck. :)

Besides, I'd rather spend my $$ on daylilies. :)

pam

This message was edited Jun 9, 2006 8:45 AM

Yorktown Heights, NY

Phuggins - I agree, the lawn is on its own. Every year my garden beds continue to encroach on my lawn - its so much more satisfying and easier to maintain.

Re: wild daisies, we have them growing everywhere as well. I picked some just this week and have planted them in an area where I need an "unmanicured" look. We'll see how pervasive they become.

Palmyra, VA

Thanks so much for your replies. I will look into thyme & check out chamomile. My original thought was snow-in-summer but leaves don't seem right. I lived in Los Angeles for 32 yrs so all northeast stuff is new to me. Tied to my flagpole (lawn center) is one of those wired 3' tall stuffed deer. Had no luck planting "Bob" -- is thyme good for that also? Appreciate your feedback.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Thyme will not cover Bob - it creeps - not climbs. Maybe Bob could have different climbing annuals each year. Would he look good in Morning Glory?

I'm also a displaced So. Californian - it is such a joy to plant and not have to worry about paying the water bill. Some years I don't even get the hose out of the garage! I miss avacados, sourdough bread and flaky pie crust that explodes into a shower of flakes when yo touch it with a fork. And most of all - I miss seeing the sun set into the ocean.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I lived in Key West a couple of years. It was great to be able to watch the sun rise and set over the ocean. Though, I caught the latter far more often than the former, except on a late night ;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.