And these

Thumbnail by bluelytes
Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

More here, WHAT do I do?

Thumbnail by bluelytes
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

They are Aphids
This link for your area might be helpful
http://www.watoxics.org/redirect/PUB_APHID.aspx?fromMenu=-1&pos=4%7C0%7C0&name=PUB_APHID

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

VEE,
Thanx. But i did not see what kind of spray to use!! i found some diazinon and some safer yard and garden insect killer.

Best;
bluelytes

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Water has always been my favorite way to remove them. Once they're knocked off they don't crawl back up onto tall plants such as brugmansia and hibiscus. I don't know if they crawl back up plants that are lower to the ground.
Using the dish soap remedy that is mentioned below works great too. It's a very old tried and true method.
If you want to go the chemical route just about anything off the shelf works that is labled for aphids. Just follow the directions. I'm not a chemical person cause I'm too chicken to use it around my pets that spend most of their days outside in the yard. So I can't recommend any specific brand.

Hope you get rid of these nasty little critters :) By the way! That last picture of yours is really great!

The info below is copied from the link I posted above

Physical Controls-Removing Aphids

The simplest control method is physical removal of aphids. This can be accomplished most easily by a strong spray of water from a garden hose, repeated periodically when the aphids return. Particularly infested plant parts may have to be cut off and discarded. Another method is to use aphid traps, colored panels covered with a sticky substance, which attact and bind aphids to them. If ants are a problem--they kill beneficial insects--build a sticky barrier between the plants and the pests.

Chemical Controls-The Last Resort

The least-toxic chemical for aphid control is an insecticidal soap. This should be applied carefully, according to label directions, only to the affected plant areas. It will kill aphids on contact, but does not provide any lasting preventative effect, so applications will probably have to be repeated. It is effective in bringing aphid numbers down so that natural predators can regain control. For a cheaper alternative, try mixing several tablespoons of a simple liquid soap with a gallon of water and squirt with your plant sprayer. On food crops, be sure to rinse thoroughly with water before eating.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Don't use the diazinon! Totally unnecessary with aphids. That's like shooting birds with a bazooka. Their soft little bodies are easily dessicated (dried out) with soapy water. You have to hit them, however. And you're always going to miss a few, so repeats are necessary. Watch for beneficial insects too. When they arrive, let them take over. Hover fly larva, lacewing larva, ladybugs and their babies are all great predators. Then there's the teensy aphid wasp that lays her eggs inside the bodies of the aphids, where they dine upon hatching, and then pupate inside. They will then cut a perfectly circular hole in the topside of the aphid (like an escape hatch) and emerge as an adult. They mate, and then lay eggs in 100 more aphids. A great beneficial!! The aphids that have been parasitized look like puffy little brown seeds. And from this nursery they'll spread out across your garden and take care of any other aphids lurking......
CJ

Grrrrrrreat photo of those bugs!

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

EQUI,
TYVM. I WISH I COULD TAKE THE CREDIT, WAS ON 'AUTOMATIC', LOL

BEST;
BLUELYTES

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

had the same ones on one of our pepper plants. ivory and water spray for 3 days in a row, make sure you do the undersides of leaves.. no problems since.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.