using disposable diapers for absorbancy

Crozet, VA

Hi everyone - I am hoping that someone can tell me how the baby diapers are used in the coconut liners. I remember reading about this a while back, and of course, didn't take notes. Now, I am ready to use the liners and need to know how to do this. Thank you to anyone with any info.

I hope that everyone is gearing up for a good weekend.

Ruby

Chesapeake Beach, MD

I'd just use water saver silicon crystals which are manufactured precisely for this use.

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Ruby,
I just found your question, I'm new to this forum. I use the water crystals now that I've found them. One gh in my area sells them, they are very hard to find around here. If you'd like for me to pick some up for you I would be willing to if you'd like to send me the money ahead of time. If you're interested go ahead and d-mail me for prices...they are very reasonable.

When I used the diapers I found out that they appear to have water crystal inside of them...but they are much, much smaller. If they aren't water crystals they sure do look like them! I cut the extra plastic off of the diapers then submersed them into a enough water to cover them. They will "plump up" right away. You'll know when they are filled w/ water. I chose to take the water crystals out of them rather than using the entire diaper because my planter were so small. You can put the diaper right into your pot/container from the water....or....

What I did to get just the water crystals is this....Pull off the top layer of soft material, the part that would be against the baby's skin. Under that you will see the part of the diaper that "plumps" when it gets wet. Those are the water crystals. They will look like big blobs of clear/whiteish tiny torn up pieces of paper towles. LOL!! Grab a some of them and plunk them into your pot right in the area where the roots of your plant will be growing. Spread them out a bit if needed, try not to leave a big clump...I'm concerned a big clump will lead to wet feet and root rot. Then just plant away as normal!

My DH works at a paper mill and has assured me that the white colored flecks in w/ the water crystals are paper pulp. I think he is right. He has worked w/ pulp for over 15 years...so he knows his pulp! LOL! In any case, it can't be anything harmful, we use it on our babies. It seems to be the same soft, cottony material that is used in the diapers to go against the baby's skin.

I hope this helps and isn't too late. If it is then at least you'll know for next year or for any late season plants you pot up.

Have a great weekend and a safe 4th!
Heather

You might try coco peat instead, if you are trying to keep moisture in. It works very well. You can find it at a big pet store in the section where snake and reptile supplies are. One brick of it goes a long way. Or mix some vermiculite into your soil.

This message was edited Jul 9, 2006 1:25 PM

Ashburn, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh I did the diaper thing in my coconut lined baskets for the last two years and it has worked very well, I don't need to water everyday like I did before. I just opened it up (without removing any of the paper) set it in the coconut liner absorbant (inside) side up. I used size 4 since my little one was that size at the time (unusued obviously) and put the soil on top of it. And watered it like crazy so that the beads would swell. Last year when I took the basket apart, the plants roots had growin into the diaper and it was still intact.

On the banks of the , VA(Zone 7a)

The beads dry out and can get re-soaked? I didn't know that.

I knew the diaper owuldn't disintegrate, that's why crunchies use cloth, so they don't clog up land fills.

Crozet, VA

I have been quite happy with using the diapers inside of the coconut planters. The plants seem to love it and are putting on a pretty show.

Ruby

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.