What's your favorite shrub? (right now anyway)

somewhere, PA

I thought I'd post a few pictures of my favorite shrub. Of course my
favorite changes as the season progresses but this one is truly one
of my very favorites. Deutzia Magicien. I got mine as a tiny little slip
from Heronswood about 5-6 yrs ago. (Hard to believe they've been
closed! A big loss).

Tam

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

A close up of the gorgeous bloom

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

And a nice combination with a peony.

Thumbnail by Tammy
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I really like this one, paniculata's are the best.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/93710/

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Hydrangea Limelight is my all time favorite. Here it goes from full sun to very heavy shade, and seems to bloom the same in all. And I love the cut, dried, and sprayed flowers for indoors. You can keep it any size you want. All in all a great garden plant.

Tammy, dang I like that Deutzia. I had a flat coming from Spring Meadows, and it got deleted.

Polly

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

oh my gosh DEUTZIA is my favorite after seeing that picture!! WOW!! And I have a Spring Meadow catalog... maybe another co-op IS in order ! :)

Susan

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Now that would be a great co-op!!!!!!!!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Not my favorite all-time shrub, but certainly one that is coming into its own this week is Leptodermis oblonga. Here is a shot of the shrub. I'll follow with a close-up of the flowers, which are rather small but very numerous.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

This shrub will remain pretty much in bloom right up until a hard frost.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent

Viburnum, any will tickle my fancy.

markleysburg, PA(Zone 5a)

My Kerria is blooming beautifully No pics tho

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Viburnum "onandaga"

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Any of the shrubby oak species.
Or whatever else is well grown, non invasive, and blooming!

Guy S.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Here is mine.

Thumbnail by Ivy1
Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Oops. It's a Diablo Ninebark.

Thornton, IL

Ivy - I just planted Summer Wine ninebark. Do you know if it will flower like yours next year? I hope so. Very nice plant. My "new" favorite!

Sherrill, NY(Zone 5a)

My favorite shrub today is Weigela Wine and Roses. The past two weeks it has just been covered with the most gorgeous rosy tubular blooms contrasting with the darker foliage..just beautiful!

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

Another viburnum lover here. Any will do, except the one in the valley.

Terry

Coldwater, MI(Zone 5b)

What's a matter with that one, Too young?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I guess I'll have to explain the cross-pollination situation, again.

I like young ones. I can grow up with them. It's the old and decrepit ones that don't do what they're supposed to do.

I'm all ears.........

Coldwater, MI(Zone 5b)

Probably too much 'hybrid vigor'. Anyway, she only has eyes for Geppetto...

Oooops, T3 was posting while I was typing...

This message was edited Jun 8, 2006 6:39 PM

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

It's a tie between Hibiscus and Bogainvillae. So many different colored blooms...you just want them all.
Pati

Wild Raisin:

So...you're after the Fairy Tale Series!

Viburnum dentatum 'Mirror Mirror'

Viburnum acerifolium 'Dumbo'

Viburnum sieboldii 'Pinocchio'

Keep clicking those ruby red slippers together...maybe you'll get your wish.

Y's 1, if clicking my ruby red shoes together got me my wish, just think of all the lovely plants that would be in my yard by now.

BTW.......we had hail last Sept and about everyone in town is getting a new roof. We finally get ours next week. Any suggestions on what to do to make sure they don't ruin all that I've done? Roofer was here today just shaking his head......

Thornton, IL

T - Hope you're home when they come, then you can stand there with hands on hips all day, making sure they don't smash anything. Might strain your neck, so wear a brace. Get a bullhorn, and yell directions, such as "Oh NOOO, not THERE". Wouldn't that be charming?

Where the freak is Leftwood? He's got some splainin' to do!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I have 6 shasta viburnums.. pulled from the salvage heap last year... all doing well and about to get a permanent placement.

My wine and roses wigelia bloomed a while ago! :) Nice plant. They came from the salvage heap too. I have it underplanted with purple palace huchera and they almost match.

LOVE hibiscus... those darn hibiscus sawflys keep me from being organic and a well manered gardener!! And the jap beetles.. UGH!!!

I have sweet tea olive and love the fragrance.... Hmmm, I'll be reminded of others as we go on.. :)

Susan

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

All you viburnam lovers, if you had a five x five space, full sun, acid sandy soil, zone 5 and could grow only one viburnam which would it be?

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

The one I got for free :)

Susan

somewhere, PA

You folks are quite an entertaining crew over here in Trees & Shrubs! But you
are not picture posters huh?

Here's my wine & roses plus (?I forget) weigelia - love the combo with the nepeta.
Tam

Thumbnail by Tammy
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I only have 4 viburnum, here's Compact American Cranberry

Thumbnail by bigcityal

Ok, ok, ok, here's a photo of my Viburnum of the week for snapple and Tammy-
American Cranberry Bush (Viburnum trilobum 'Hahs')

Thumbnail by Equilibrium
somewhere, PA

How wonderful - red (new) folliage and bright white flowers. I only have a couple of
viburum. Gotta get more! I've been adding hydrangea's lately.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Two of my favs right now are bottlebrush buckeye and oakleaf hydrangea. Oh, and I like beautyberries too.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Shasta Viburnum or Heptacodium micinioides. Both are dynamite multi-season shrubs which ask nothing of me but to be a voyeur. There is no time of the year when at least one of them is interesting - and usually both are. The cool horizontal structure of Shasta and exfoliating bark of Hepta even keep you interested in the winter.

Victor

somewhere, PA

Victor - I am not familiar with Heptacodium. I just checked it out on PF. Sounds interesting.
Do you know if its deer candy? I generally fence them out only during the late fall through early
spring. They do come through my place to drink from the spring-fed pond.

In the distant pre-ViburnumValley days, one might have referred to me as BottlebrushBuckeyeBoy.

This year's first blooms started two days ago. Here's the rascals getting rolling a few years back.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
somewhere, PA

whoa... I thought that was a tree. Is that one plant or multiple planted in
a hedge?

I've got a few baby Pavia's going now. One planted out & two as back-ups
in pots.

*sigh* and to think that a certain someone was going to gift me with some.......no matter. I'll plug along without them..........

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.