Bluestone Perennial Sale this weekend

Athens, OH

Is anyone going to the sale this weekend? [I think it starts tomorrow]

I am tempted. Anyone else?
ROX

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Did you go? I was out of town, but would have been tempted to join you!

Swore off buying plants this year because of my bountiful 'wintersowing crop' but just succumbed to buying $1 asclepias (marked down from $4.95) for my butterfly garden at Greenfield Plant Farm today.

The sales always 'get' me and I love those sorrowful beat out plants I buy the best of all!

How is your garden growing? Any updates on the deer project? The deer came in this week and had a banquet on my ferns and lilies. Boo hoo. Even using deer scram and liquid fence. Oh, well...

Athens, OH

I wish you had been in town! Without anybody to go with me, I just didn't have the motivation. But...I did order plants from the sale! Also, Parks Seed/Wayside gave me one-time-only access to their wholesale website. I bought some gorgeous pulmonaria and heuchera for very discounted prices.

The poppies you gave me are doing well, but haven't bloomed yet [otherwise I would have posted them on Ric's thread of plants swaps for the RU].

I love sales. The University just had a plant sale. Plants were $1 and trees [3 feet] were $5.
But with that said...if you want plants, come here a visit. I have tons to share.

The garden is a bit of a jungle this year. Lots of things are maturing and vying for space.

This is the rose garen, just before it busted out with hundreds to small pink blooms.

Thumbnail by rox_male
Athens, OH

Here is a bed with rhododendron. They seem to be the only ones in the neighborhood that the deer don't savagely attack. I wish I knew the variety.
ROX

Thumbnail by rox_male
Athens, OH

Some more...
PS Sorry to hear about your ferns and lilies!

Thumbnail by rox_male
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Rox...I love your rhododendrons! I planted 3 for the very first time this past fall. One looks like it died...one had a single bloom this spring...and the other still looks good ..but no blooms! I have always heard that rhodies don't do well in Ohio..but yours look fabulous!

Athens, OH

Thanks. They were here when I bought the place. They are about 20 years old and live on the north side of the house.

I feed mine used coffee grinds (about a quart) every other month and randomly throw in some eggs shells. They seem to like it.

ROX

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Yes, lots of foliage, no bloom here to speak of here. Maybe next week.

When your garden starts blooming, rox, be sure to give us some updated pics!

Love your rhodies, too, btw.

Marcy-- there is a fellow in the outskirts of Cincinnati who is a national authority on them-- I think his name is Troutman--and his contact information is listed in the 'Where to find plants' thread in the ORV forum, I believe. Maybe he knows what grows best.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

He's still there.
Up on St Rt 125 just minutes from me here at work.
Our neighbor Eric's been to his place several time.
Basically it's by appointment only.
Ric

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks T...and Ric. I believe I have heard of him. Will have to see what I can find out!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.