compost tea

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

I have about a 9 cubic foot rotating (tumbling) composter. Having a small hole in the bottom, it drips a rich brown liquid which I assume could be used for compost tea. Should I dilute this for great fertilizer and if so, how much for each gallon of water. Can it be used as a soil and foliar spray?

East Barre, VT(Zone 4a)

Hello Dun1kirk, I'd suggest you post this on the organic gardening forum to see what kind of response you get. I'd be interested in a response, too.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Assuming all that went in your composter is manure, plant material and water and maybe some bacterial starter, I would think you could use the liquid dripping out of the bottom for compost tea. But I urge you to dilute it and use it sparsely at first. I once had a partial wheelbarrow of manure that got rained on, so I thought I would be brilliant and pour just the liquid on a nectarine tree I had that wasn't growing very fast. I might add that the manure was very well aged, not raw. It was too much for the poor little tree. It was dead in no time.
You didn't say what you have in your compost bin, but go lightly at first until you see how your plants respond.
That was the one and only time I ever got fertilizer burn from composted manure.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

dun1kirk, what you have is compost "leach" (not tea) and yes, you can certainly use it. Dilute it at least by half but most preferably to a 10-1 ratio. You'll be fine (and so will your plants).

Shoe

Batesville, AR

We are with Horseshoe - less is more when it comes to organics. 10-1 is where its at. 10-1 is safe for sure, and even if 5-1 was safe you probably wouldnt be able to tell the difference.
You could even save a little back and mix it 20-1 for use a foliar spray.

Good luck and congratulations on having some of the world's finest fertilizer

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

kyle_and_erika, I don't remember seeing you post before so you must be new here. If so, let me offer you a HEARTY WELCOME TO DG!

Hope to see you around the site!

Shoe.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.