A Few Rebloomers

Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

This one bloomed in January, early spring, late spring, and again now.

Sandy

MISTY LADY

Thumbnail by gonzomamma
Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's a faded Misty Lady with a ladybug.

Thumbnail by gonzomamma
Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

MY FRIEND CHELSEA

Thumbnail by gonzomamma
Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

Another bloom on My Friend Chelsea-the standards are deformed on one side-it looks like all the energy went into the beard. You could use that beard as a feather duster. :-)

Sandy

This message was edited Jun 15, 2006 7:53 PM

Thumbnail by gonzomamma
Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

HOT DOGS AND MUSTARD. It looks better the second time-has more hot dogs. :-)

Sandy

Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

I guess it would help if I posted the photo, duh.

Thumbnail by gonzomamma
Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

The few iris that are left are pretty sad looking from the wind and heat, but here they are.

SPARTAN

Thumbnail by gonzomamma
Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

This one looks a little more peachy in the spring.

Sandy

MIL BYERS

Thumbnail by gonzomamma
Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

Rock Star is still blooming-what a trooper. I didn't get a picture today because I was distracted by new daylilies. Poor iris left in the dust for daylilies. :-( I think I will move all my rebloomers closer to the house so I can give them a little more attention.

This one is blooming for the first time, so I don't know if it's a rebloomer or just a very late one. Poor thing it's stalk is laying on the ground, but it does have cheerful color. :-) Don't know the name, but it looks like an older one.

Sandy

Thumbnail by gonzomamma
Central Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Sandy, these are great.

Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank you, they are pretty sad compared to the way they looked in the spring.

By the way I like your screen name. Makes me smile. :-)

Sandy

Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

Sandy,
It's nice to see blooming iris in June.
Thanks
Winnie

Thanks for the compliment on the screen name. Just don't get around me when I start my doodlebug phase. Just about everything is likely to be dug up. :-)
I found two scapes on irises yesterday and I am so excited. I thought I was done for a few months. Mine maybe rebloomers but if they are, this wouldn't be the rebloom cause they didn't bloom earlier this year. I am hoping they are 'Licorice Stick' that Wanda sent me last year. Whatever they are, they will be new to me. We will see....

Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

You should have the right climate for rebloomers. Last year I planted 'My Friend Jonathan' in July or August and it bloomed in November. It's one of my best rebloomers.

Sandy

Last year I had a bloom in every month but January, Sept and Oct. It has been such a weird year this year (with the mild winter and late cold snap) that my plants have just not bloomed as expected. They are blooming out of their traditional times and so it has been kind of exciting.

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Sandy... have you found any difference in the rate of multiplication of the rebloomers vs others. Does there double bloom season take away energy for new plants ?

Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

Charlotte,

Excellent question, so far all the rebloomers have mutlplied into large clumps, but this is my first year with them-I'll pay attention to the size of the rhizomes when I dig them.

I have noticed that some of the second blooms aren't as nice as the first ones, but that may be because, they aren't getting the extra water and fertilizer they need. I want to put them all together in one area, so I can pay more attention to them.

Sandy

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

That's a good idea about putting all the rebloomers in one spot. What kind of fertilizer do you suggest? Does anyone have a list of rebloomers?
Here's a start:

Immortality
Earl of Essex
Mother Earth

Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

Some people use bone meal for iris. From what I understand low nitrogen fertilizer is best- worked into the soil, not put near the rhizome.

We have one field of iris growing in poor soil with no fertilizer and they still do fine, the flowers are about the same size, but the rhizomes are smaller than the ones in front that have had 20 years of compost worked into the soil. Our fertilization program is hit and miss at best, :-)

I've had disastrous results using manure on iris.

Sandy

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

Summer Olympics & Barn Dance rebloom for me.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

What Again SDB
Baby Prince SDB
Cornhusker Autumn SDB
Fall Festival BB
Autumn Joy TB
Lunar Whitewash TB
Apollo One (occassionally) TB
Late Lilac TB
Clarence TB
Harvest of Memories TB
Raspberry Silk BB - BC (occassionally)
Cobra's Eye TB
Cayenne Capers TB
Northward Ho TB
Feedback TB
Immortality TB

Have all bloomed for me from September - November, once even as late as December but I had to cut the stalks of CE and bring it in that year and only 1 bloom survived indoors.

Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

My Rock Star is a good rebloomer and I dug some rhizomes yesterday, and they are all huge. The fans on Hot Dogs and Mustard haven't increased much, but it's blooming again.

Gnu Blues is blooming again-it may be an everbloomer, in my climate anyway-it just keeps going with just short periods in between, and it has increased very well.

Double Scoop has rebloomed, only once so far-and the fans have increased tremendously.

Charlotte, so far I can't answer your question about multiplication of rebloomers, some are vigorous, and others aren't. Our weather has been weird this year also. I'll pay attention next year also.

I found this site to be useful. Personal experience from people who live in your zone is very valuable also. Thanks for all your input everybody. :-)

http://www.suttoniris.com/html/rebloom.htm

Sandy

This message was edited Jun 20, 2006 4:40 PM

Hebron, KY

Gonzomamma,

Beautiful Iris and pics! Thanks for sharing!

Where did you buy the 'Hotdogs and Mustard' & 'My Friend Jonathon' Irises?

Marilyn

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I have added a few rebloomers, but I am not having any luck here even with Immortality and Clarence. Marilynbeth have you had any to rebloom in the Fall?

Also when is the latest you have moved iris?
Teresa in Ky

Hebron, KY

Hi Teresa,

I just planted my first rebloomer this Fall 'Best Bet' (hopefully it turns out to be, as I got it from a local nursery). I haven't moved any Iris and Best Bet is my only one.

Marilyn

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I think cold climates don't encourage reblooming -- at least that is my experience so far. I haven't had but one rebloom and strangely enough that is Romantic Evening. It rebloomed two years in a row, but has now missed a year. I haven't taken very good care of it, so maybe it needs a little TLC to get it to rebloom again. Maybe you will have better luck in 6a, than in 5a, where I am. Those of you in warmer climates like CA are in business for reblooming.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.